Watch Repairs Help & Advice

SECTION RULES

If you are a new member, we would consider it polite for you to introduce yourself here before posting your questions.

Subforums

1. Watch Case Issues, Opening, Movement/Stem Removal, Case Parts, straps and bracelets

Discussing issues regarding the watch case including Opening, Closing, Movement Removal, Stem Removal, Pushers, Pendant Tubes etc...
    You can also discuss subjects relating to watch straps and bracelets here.

2. New to watch repair ** Safe Zone For Learner Watch Repairers **

Discussing subjects relating to learner watch repairers.
    More experienced repairers - please guide learners with patience and respect 🙏

3. Regulation, Watch Performance and Timing Machine (Timegrapher) Readings/Results

Discuss general regulation techniques, watch performance issues and your timing machine readings (traces).
    Balance Wheel Adjustment, Hairspring Adjustment, Regulating Watches, Setting Watches in Beat, Lift Angle

4. Service, Repair & Adjustment Techniques (Not Timing or Regulation)

Discussing subjects relating to servicing, making adjustments and repairs to watch parts and movements and fitting balance staffs. This section is not for timing or regulation discussion. To discuss Regulation or Timing please go here.

5. Cleaning / De-Greasing Techniques - including cleaning products

Discussing cleaning and de-greasing of watch movements including products used

Discuss fault finding. Post here for advise diagnosing any watch movement issues.

7. Restoration Techniques - Polishing, Refinishing, Bluing, Rust, etc..

Dealing with all subjects relating to watch restoration techniques such as Rust Removal, Bluing, Refinishing etc...

8. Lubrication Techniques, Oils, Greases, Epilame Treatments

Discussing lubrication techniques, oils and greases to use and Epilame treatment.

9. Quartz and Tuning Fork Battery Operated Watches

Discussing quartz and tuning fork watch movements

10. Shock Settings - Incablock, Diashock - Fitting/Adjusting Jewels, etc..

Discussing shock settings such as Incabloc and Diashock etc..
    Fitting and the adjustment of Jeweled Bearings, Pallet Stones, Impulse Jewels

Need help identifying a watch movement? Please use this section.

12. Watch Parts, Sourcing Parts, Movements, Materials and Lubrication Products

Discussing watch parts, the sourcing of watch parts and movements, and products required to repair and service watch movements

13. Documentation, Books & Service Sheets

Discussing watch repair documentation, books, parts lists and service sheets

8959 topics in this forum

• 36 replies
    • 12.1k views
    • 3 replies
    • 2.8k views
  1. Rotor Issue

• 7 replies
    • 2k views
    • 3 replies
    • 2k views
    • 1 reply
    • 2k views
    • 3 replies
    • 3.3k views
    • 58 replies
    • 6.5k views
    • 5 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 7 replies
    • 1.5k views
    • 5 replies
    • 2.1k views
  2. Tissot 7842

• 3 replies
    • 2k views
    • 3 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 1.7k views
  3. 7S26 balance collet

• 9 replies
    • 2.5k views
    • 8 replies
    • 2k views
    • 7 replies
    • 3.3k views
    • 9 replies
    • 2.2k views
    • 5 replies
    • 2.4k views
    • 8 replies
    • 12.9k views
    • 0 replies
  4. oris cal. 231w

• 2 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 2.3k views
    • 5 replies
    • 7.7k views
  5. Spring wire

• 2 replies
    • 1.7k views

• Topics

• In the meantime whilst awaiting a better plan, please drop me a quick hello on my email. 
    • I looked at it like this, I've built a lot of stuff in my time, building structures and furniture,those are my creations and they will still be here way way after I'm gone. Traditional watchmakers felt the need to pass their knowledge on, ideas that they created . I assume with them as it is with me, leaving their mark on the earth, a way of being remembered. This creation of Mark's has brought thousands of people together to pass their knowledge around,  ideas that will continue to be used for lifetimes. Ideas that should continue to be procured. If for whatever reason the forum ceased to exist, not quite like Ranfft's, that didn't disappear but much less usable. Then that is sad, such a massive loss of communication between good people and a wealth of knowledge lost. There should be something in place for when that happens which could be next week, next year or in 10 years. Might not be a topical subject for a lot of folk or boardering on controversy, i did say i talk about stuff other people dont. But if you dont talk about it and something happens then you've lost it and you ain't gonna fix it .
    • I've remained silent on this thread, and at the risk of upsetting everyone, the thing that worries me the most the the apparent absence of Mark. The moderators do a great job and the members also pitch in, and the site seems to run itself, but it is a concern for the future of this forum when the owner is absent for all intents and purposes. Like many of the comments above I would hate to log in one day and things be closed down as I rely on this site for ideas and knowledge and also cheer me up. maybe the Moderators could reach out to him, assuming he does not read this thread, and express our concerns and let us know the plans going forward? some kind of WRT ark
    • That was the exact reason for me starting this thread watchie. Still we haven't worked out how the regulars are going to hook up if it goes tits up. I honestly think something should be arranged to stay in contact, we all help each other so much. 
    • Yeah ive watched that a few times before,  i couldnt find my old school dividers to scribe it up 😅 Yep thats the guy i bought a roll from . Thanks Nicklesilver that answers that perfectly and more or less what i thought an experiment over time would prove . The jumper arm is quite thick along its length, i left it that way intentionally, i thought the original was probably very thin, i didnt see that it was already missing. Setting isn't particularly stiff as such just positive, i still need to take it out and polish where it mates with the stem release.