Waltham cal. 1609. Bushing for 4th wheel

oli

I am working on this lovely old waltham movement. The bush currently fitted to the 4th wheel is clearly incorrect, the diameter of the hole is much too large.

IMG_8051.JPG?dl=1

I would like to replace the bush, but I cannot find any equivalent. I looked on the cousins website under watch bushes, and all the bushes I find with the correct size hole are too small in outside diameter, and when I find a suitable outside diameter then the hole in the bush is too large. No more luck looking at clock bushes.

According to my measurements I need 2.50mm outside diameter, with a 0.30mm hole. I don't mind making small adjustment either to the bridge hole, or the new bush hole diameter, but so far all I have found is too far out. I would like to avoid using a friction jewel as I like to keep the watch design as intended.

I would welcome any tips / guidance!

Edited by oli

Wouldn't a stenfassungen work  Don't now the name in English. Have some bushing where you can set a jewel inside. One of the is around 2,5 mm and then you can get a jewel that sits  inside it. With a 0,3 mm hole . 0,3 is the same as 0,30 i guess? Pressing from the back it will end up in the same height. 

Thank you for the responses guys. The hole is so big I originally thought the bush was a setting for a friction fit jewel. If it was it certainly was not like that originally as it would make the movement more than 9 jewels...

I have considered the lathe option, and if I cannot find any alternatives I will do just that. I am in the process of setting up a lathe (keeps being bumped at the back of the priorities list unfortunately!). I will need some practice first but this would actually make a very good exercise.

Rogart63, it sounds like what you are describing could do the job, do you know where I can find those (I have not come across the term before)

Many thanks indeed

Wouldn't a stenfassungen work  Don't now the name in English. Have some bushing where you can set a jewel inside. One of the is around 2,5 mm and then you can get a jewel that sits  inside it. With a 0,3 mm hole . 0,3 is the same as 0,30 i guess? Pressing from the back it will end up in the same height. 

Would that be a steinfassungen? (Note the extra "i"). If so, then that translates to chaton in French which might be more recognisable to an English speaking watchmaker (don't try and google translate the French to English as you will most likely get "kitten").

In both cases it means a metal collar around a jewel or stone. They are found on older watches for reasons you can find through google, but I'm not aware of a source to buy these ready to fit.

Would that be a steinfassungen? (Note the extra "i"). If so, then that translates to chaton in French which might be more recognisable to an English speaking watchmaker (don't try and google translate the French to English as you will most likely get "kitten").

In both cases it means a metal collar around a jewel or stone. They are found on older watches for reasons you can find through google, but I'm not aware of a source to buy these ready to fit.

Yepp . Sorry for the wrong word :) This are from an old watchmakers  auction. Along with some other things. They are in a box. Lots of different sizes. I just thought at it as a good way of resizing the hole. As the other size was pretty close to 2,5.mm . haven't measured the inside. But sure it must be easier to find a smaller jewel. 

DSC08530.thumb.JPG.ab0451289765a0430c922a46000ff0ed.JPGDSC08529.thumb.JPG.f9d2e64ad47e082ac90351603675c9d9.JPG

Edited by rogart63

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

I thought I would update this thread. It has been a long time coming, but I made it in the end! I decided to make a bush using my newly setup watchmakers lathe.

I must stress I am a complete novice on the lathe, but this actually made a very good practice exercise.

You can read the full story with photos on my blog - Link 

I hope this will make interesting reading!

• Like 1