My newest work space...I have to quit moving!

DJW

Since I joined this forum I've moved half a dozen times. Each time I have to fit what I have to work on watches and whatever little space that's available. This time I'm in the smallest place yet (460sqft.) but have the perfect little niche in the corner for all of my watch making tools, supplies, books, Etc. All that and a South facing window B) plus, I can keep an eye on my beloved car that sits right in front of that window:biggrin:

IMG_20170609_175554024_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170609_175522593_HDR.jpg

• Like 9

A nice light room even if its small. The L & R varimatic is the best cleaning machine I ever had.How do you manage to work on your lathe tucked in that corner with all the other stuff around.

It's tight, but not terrible. It may not look it, but there is just enough room to sit comfortably at the lathe..

By the way, what's the tool in the back left corner of the bench?

I think you're asking about my plastic Crystal lift/compressor? I don't use it that often, but it's nice to have if I have a very tight plastic Crystal to install..

I'm very excited to pick up an L&R on Monday and graduate from my jewelry cleaner

The only issue I've had with this machine is the seals drying out. There is a place online where I could buy new ones, but as long as I leave it in the down position with no load on the hydraulic system I don't have a problem with fluid leaking out of the reservoir. 

After the machine completes the drying cycle the hydraulic ram lifts the head up about three or four inches so that you can remove the basket with the watch components. This is the final position that the watch cleaning machine ends it cycle. The problem with this position is that the hydraulic pressure keeps it at this elevated position. There is a spring inside the shaft that constantly pulls the head back down towards the machine itself. So therefore there is a constant positive pressure on the hydraulic system. If you have leaky seals like I do in my machine, it will slowly bleed off fluid out of the seals until the head drops all the way down back into the drying position. Because I turn it off at near the end of the drying position the hydraulic system is not under load and I don't lose any fluid. I would recommend keeping your machine in this position as well as there is no stress on the hydraulic system or seals...

When you want to clean a new watch, all you have to do is turn the machine on and the head will lift up to the final position at that point. Then you can attach your basket and press start and off you go. You just have to remember to turn off the machine during the drying cycle so it stays in that position. If you forget and it right raises up to the final point I just cycle all the way through back around to the drying cycle and then shut it off then.. obviously with the basket removed so that my freshly cleaned and dried watch Parts don't get a quick bath!:wacko:

how is the weather in Seattle?

It's been beautiful lately! Hot as hell on Sunday..93 degrees:blink:...After the winter we had, I'll take it. We broke a record for rain- 45 inches from October 2016-April 2017...Geez!