Carriage clock no longer runs for 8 days

AlanCJ

I have an early 20th century striking french carriage clock which I have recently serviced.  I have a number of other clocks, a couple of 400 day clocks and a French regulator clock which I have serviced several times without problems, but this is the first time I have serviced the carriage clock.  Prior to the service it would run for 8 days on a wind, so I used to wind it on the same day each week, but since the service it stops after 5 days.  It is fully wound down when it stops, so I have no idea what has changed, can anyone shed any light on the problem.  It keeps good time, but I have had to adjust the escapement more towards retard than it was previously

Yes, that is exactly it, and yes I agree it is very odd.  I stripped it, gave it a good ultrasonic clean, reassembled and oiled with good quality clock oil.  It keeps perfect time but now stops after just 5 days on a full wind.  I had no problems with the service other than there was a mechanism on the mainspring barrel cap that I have not seen before and so I have no idea what it does.  I have attached a photo

IMG_6423.JPG

What you have here is a stop work fitted to the barrel. This is found in better clock movements. I expect you do not have it set right so this is the answer to your odd problem. Here is a link explaining how it works. After reading it and looking at your stop work you find you still need help let me know.

http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/blogstopwork.php

I am no expert and have never worked on clocks, but I believe the mechanism is known as Geneva stop gear/works or  Maltese Cross.

They have been on a couple of pocket watch mainsprings that I have worked on before. 

You  are quite correct. It is used so the spring doesn't come off the barral arbor. That is why you give the arbor a turn before setting the stop, it causes a lock.

it is a Black, Starr and Frost (Department store in New York) branded French carriage clock which from my research dates it to pre 1920 when the company changed its name to Black, Starr & Gorham Jewelry and Silverware Company

IMG_0605.JPG

IMG_0623.JPG

• Like 1

It certainly seems as though it is not fully winding. I have not worked on Maltese cross or Geneva stop work but I suspect that is the fault area.

You quite often find part or complete stop work missing. The most common is the screw comes adrift the tread is worn or the stop work is worn and jams up the works. So parts go missing or just thrown away.