English Verge William Frodsham

I'm only providing two pictures here as I promised my lecturer where I am learning to repair watches I would post an article about how he repaired this circa 1785 English Verge Pocket watch on the school Facebook page, but I'm seeking some extra information that I'm hoping someone here will know.

William Frodsham 1728 to 1807 started a long ling of distinguished watch and clock makers and the company is still in business today which is who this movement is made by.

This particular movement I'm estimating was made around 1785 judging by the hands and the serial number on the movement (Hands are Recordon Style) and serial number is 3068 with a diamond end cap on the balance.

It was recased in silver in 1867 / 68, but would I be correct in saying it would of originally had a gold case?

Sorry can't show more photos as I have to save them for my post on my school Facebook page.

No its unfortunately not my watch......

Will Frodsham.jpg

frodsham dial.jpg

I dont think you could know for sure what the original case would have been unless records exist for William Frodsham, the case making would have been contracted out to a case maker and produced to suit how much the original owner would have been prepared to pay so could have been silver, silver gilt or gold

Edited by wls1971