New member greetings

Hello to all.

I have just joined this watch forum as it has helped me in the past and now that I have questions I can't find answers to I have decided to join.

I have a keen interest in all watches but my genre is 70s retro, mechanical, led and jump hour/ mechanical digital.

My collection recently has been growing weekly and I have 30+ watches.

I have worked in the abrasives & engineering sector for 20+ years and recently got into restoring watch cases. As I have good ideas on what products to use I though I'd try my hand on a few beaten up Seiko 6119s . I persevered with these stainless cases and surprised myself on my results to the extent of buying more Seikos to hone my skills.

Once I have found my way round the forum I hope to post some pictures for your scrutiny and critique.

In he mean time I have to post a question on installing a new oscillator into a working led board . Hopefully I can find the right board and get some well needed advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following is an extract from my "Repairing quartz Watches" by Henry B. Fried

"When an LED is commanded to display the time,a large surge of current is required. The voltage drops momentarily due to the high drain. However, the circuit must continue to receive enough voltage to keep operating. If the circuit drops too low,it will stop the circuit,and possibly the quartz crystal,from oscillating for a brief moment. This may lead to the wearer to believe he has a poorly regulated watch"

This is my grey area in horology but if repairing quartz is your thing then I recommend this comprehensive quartz repair book (if you can find one that is)

• Like 1