Altimeter watch repair?

Hi all,

I have an Origo watch with a barometric altimeter (no GPS) but unfortunately the barometer is faulty and so the altimeter is currently not functional.

I believe the model is the one shown here.

I don’t think Origo still exists as a company so unfortunately I cannot contact the original manufacturer about this.

Does anyone know whether it might be possible to have this watch repaired? Everything is fine apart from the barometer reading. I much prefer this model to currently available alternatives so would prefer to have this repaired if possible rather than buy a new watch.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Kind regards,

Neil

Maybe a picture would help others understand what is that you have?

Thank you for your reply. Here are some photographs of the watch:

5920ad8eae31c_Origoaltimeterwatch.png.6c89adbb334f4ed955ff4b73ef889392.png

I haven't been able to find anyone able to repair this, even though I think it's just one part (the barometer) which is faulty. You can see the clearly incorrect reading in the bottom-right photo. This isn't something I can attempt myself but I'm obviously willing to pay for a repair if anyone can help.

Many thanks,

Neil

Thank you for your reply. Here are some photographs of the watch:
5920ad8eae31c_Origoaltimeterwatch.png.6c89adbb334f4ed955ff4b73ef889392.png

I haven't been able to find anyone able to repair this, even though I think it's just one part (the barometer) which is faulty. You can see the clearly incorrect reading in the bottom-right photo. This isn't something I can attempt myself but I'm obviously willing to pay for a repair if anyone can help.
Many thanks,
Neil

Neil,

Have you tried recalibrating the barometer?

Frank

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Neil,

Have you tried recalibrating the barometer?

Frank

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've tried calibrating the barometer. It offers a sensible "sea level" range (approx 930-1080mb) but when you set this and then press 'calibrate' it just reverts to reading somewhere in the 1500s or 1600s which is obviously nonsense.

I suspect that all that is needed is to replace the internal barometer. Maybe some small debris or water got in and is blocking / has rusted the sensors. Everything else about the watch is working correctly.

This might be a straightforward repair but I haven't found anyone that's able to carry it out, which is very surprising / frustrating!

Neil

Neil,

You probably know this and have tried it already.  Does the watch allow you to input either the local barometric setting or a known local terrain elevation (an airport for example) to take the second step of calibrating the altimeter? Without that as a reference point, even with a calibrated barometer, the altitude will be wrong.

If the issue is foreign material blocking free movement of a capsule or transmission mechanism, gentle cleaning may help. However, it's just as likely the sensor is a silicon chip and not repairable.

Oris, Casio, and LAD Weather still make watches with altimeters. Oris uses a vacuum capsule with with one watch. There may be forums that may be able to give you some ideas.

Good luck

Frank

I looked on Ebay and a same watch is 25 pounds or best offer.

As explained above, generally speaking electronics can't be repaired, these watches are essentially disposable items, just as too many other items nowadays.

That is not surprising and should not be frustrating.