Small Waltham Watch

A friend of mine dropped off a small Waltham pocket watch which had belonged to her grandfather. It is only 25mm across so it is more like a small wrist watch.

It is in a drop-down case with the key held in the case. The 'keyless' works are fine and the whole watch seems good except for the balance. The hairspring is a real mess and the impulse jewel plate has come off the balance staff. The safety pin on the pallet fork is bent. I have no idea what happened but it had to have had some kind of accident.

I'm thinking of replacing the balance assembly and the pallet fork because I don't think I can get the watch working otherwise.

Any ideas are welcome. Thank you.

The safety pin on the pallet fork looks more like a scorpion's tail. The hairspring is in a bad way and the balance cock has the end on the hairspring still fastened but it looks pretty rusted. I have no idea what caused this mess.

Do you think It would be possible to straighten the hairspring and reattach it? 

How about straightening the safety pin. Is that possible without breaking it? 

It got bent without breaking so maybe it can be straightened.

The watch is very good in every other way so it would be nice to get it working again. 

• 3 weeks later...

I sort of gave up trying to fix this watch. I had a passing notion to buy a junker in the hopes that it might have the parts I need intact and working. However, I did this with a Russian watch and the junker had the same problem, stripped minute wheel teeth. Now I have 2 junker Russian watches.