What is your holy grail watch ?

• 3 weeks later...

My grail actually varies from time to time. Currently I am on the look out for a nice Certina DS.

I have come to realize that any watch I lust after will never be the end of the journey of it so I don't 'chase' the grail actively.

Anilv

• Like 1

Hi Anilv,  wise words indeed! I am actively seeking a Seiko Pogue but cannot find one that's100% original, also being a big fellow I need a big watch LOL. Until I found this forum I didn't actually collect watches even though I have always loved them. The watches that I have are watches that I have owned from the early 1970s and have simply sat in my desk for years but I wind them regularly so they all work perfectly. Thanks for replying, Johnnie

Omega Speedmaster Moonphase (for now anyways :))

Or, in an ideal world, one of the Patek Philippe Grand Complications 6300G-001 ... droooooooool..... (also: $750,000... and it's not even waterproof... ouch... but so amazing!!!)

Edited by frenchie
  • Like 1

For me it has to be a watch that can sit untouched for months and then will start after a couple of shakes and keep time more or less perfectly. I don't want anything flashy but an air of quiet quality should another enthusiast spot what is on my wrist. It must be comfortable to wear and kind to clothes with no edges or snags.

Impossible? No it's a stainless Rolex Air King Precision on a Jubilee bracelet, just like the one I've been wearing for the last 36 years.

Everything else is just a toy!

Contentedly, Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi Anilv,  wise words indeed! I am actively seeking a Seiko Pogue but cannot find one that's100% original, also being a big fellow I need a big watch LOL. Until I found this forum I didn't actually collect watches even though I have always loved them. The watches that I have are watches that I have owned from the early 1970s and have simply sat in my desk for years but I wind them regularly so they all work perfectly. Thanks for replying, Johnnie

It's a sickness... that's all I can say.

You will eventually find the Pogue, which you will treasure and keep in a safe, bringing it out for special occasions.

You will then move on, maybe you'll fancy a vintage Seiko Diver.. maybe a Rolex Sub?

I too went down that rocky road of Seiko Chronographs, must've had more than 20 at the peak of my madness. Now I think I have around 10 but they're scattered. I have 3 yellow pogues, one an early notch case. While working fine, they need new crystals and hands but I've heard the aftermarket hands are not too good quality so they on hold for the moment... (that moment has lasted around 5 years now!).

Thanks God I'm only a serial watch hoarder.. could've been worse.. a serial murderer or similar (thats what I tell my wife).

Anilv

• Like 1

LOL hi Anilv, I have some "good" watches, as stated I have owned them since 1970s. 1, Omega Speedmaster 1964, 2, Jaeger Lecoultre master mariner, 3, Lecoultre deep sea alarm. I have sort of picked Seiko because there's no shortage of them and they are watches I can play with. I started with a Seiko 6139 that would run but stop, I bought another 6139 and used it as a reference point when I dismantled the first one. After dismantling the first one I cleaned, oiled, and reassembled it and it's working fine now. Then the "bug" bit me and I bought a Seiko 6119-6400 with a broken winding stem and missing crown that I am doing now. But I really want a Seiko Pogue as my everyday watch and I have been actively looking for one, the problem is there are many around that I have seen at all prices! Also so many have been messed about with and I am not expert enough to tell good from bad. The more I learn the more I realise I know nothing LOL. Johnnie

• Like 1

LIP's wasn't fully functional at the time. 

5 years before Hamilton, the first battery powered wristwatch was made by Elgin. 

https://www.elgin.watch/enwco/events/watch-of-tomorrow/

Before the holy crusade starts by Hamilton collectors, yes, Hamilton were first to sell a battery powered wristwatch in 1957, the were not the first to have a battery powered wristwatch as two others existed in 1952.

• Like 1