Selecting a Tension Ring crystal

I need to get a new crystal for a watch I'm working on. It has a tension ring type glass. I've never bought this type before and have a couple of questions that someone may be able to help with.

How do i measure the glass. The case opening is 32.45mm what size would be appropriate.

There seems to be a couple of types on the Cousins site. Standard and Recessed. What does recessed actually mean? the glass the came out does have a recess where the ring sits, is that what it means?

Thanks for any help.

I'm curious as to what kind of watch it is .  Seiko has case to crystal lists .

Can you measure the old crystal diameter . A tension ring crystal will have a white or gold ring you specify when you order and be very slighter larger then the case opening .

I order from Tip Top Crystals quite a bit , and you can email Steve and ask questions .

If your watch case have  a recess where the crystal is you should have a recessed crystal. But i think you should have a ACT crystal with chrome or gold tension ring. This is the most common crystal.  32,45 i would go for a 32,6 or maybe a 32,5 but a 32,6 would be just about right i think? 

The glass that came out is 32.50, but I can push it in by hand, so I think 32.60 would be the one. It's only an Avia, so I assume the standard glass will be right, as stated by Roger.

Since you need to order a crystal w/tension ring that is larger then the case measurement then you need to compress the edge of the crystal to get it to fit . Once the edges are in then you can seat it with a press . I usually use a press with my divers that have a crystal gasket to fit to . 

Maybe others can give their methods and opinions .

• 1 month later...

As a matter of information. I bought a 32.5 and it was a perfect fit. I had to use the press to get it fully in. So it seems you don't want to go too big. Also, the crystal lift tool was no use at all, as you can't compress the tension ring. I guess that's the idea really.

Anyway, that was my experience, YMMV.

As a matter of information. I bought a 32.5 and it was a perfect fit. I had to use the press to get it fully in. So it seems you don't want to go too big. Also, the crystal lift tool was no use at all, as you can't compress the tension ring. I guess that's the idea really.

Anyway, that was my experience, YMMV.

Way to go ..  You got it in without damage and it stays in . Can't ask for more then that .

• 5 months later...

Rather than starting a new thread, can I ask about this crystal. There are so many to choose from, I'm not sure where to start. It seems the one I have the chrome ring actually holds the dial in place ie, if I put the dial in the case with out the crystal on, there is nothing stopping it falling out the front of the case.

The watch is a Tissot seastar

IMG_20171112_220851.jpg

IMG_20171112_221113.jpg

IMG_20171112_223519.jpg

IMG_20171112_223531.jpg