Seiko 6119 6400 release button

Hi, I am looking for advice about Seiko 6119 6400, to cut a long story short I am trying to replace the winding stem and crown and have hit a problem. When I put the stem into the watch it turns the inner bezel/dial but won't stay in. I have noticed the little button that you press to release the stem is stuck down,,, I think this is the problem? I have dropped a little watch oil down the hole hoping it would pop out. Has anyone any advice? I don't really wish to dismantle the watch as it is running sweetly and I am very inexperienced with watches. Many thanks in advance. Johnnie

Hi Johnnie ,

Hopefully you didn't inadvertently knock the yoke off of the groove on the clutch wheel . If the little button is stuck down , that means that the setting lever is not seated properly and not allowing the small nub on the setting lever to engage the grove on the setm.

This happens sometimes when replacing the stem .  First thing is to use the stem and crown or a small screwdriver in the stem hole to gently wiggle the parts into alignment . Doing this will work more often then not .

If this doesn't do the trick you have to remove the dial to access the setting / winding mechinism to align the parts ,...usually the yoke back into the clutch groove as I previously mentioned . Your watch is a bit more complacated because of the gear that turns the inner rotating bezel .

Attached is the PDF tech sheet for the Seiko 6106 , which is the base movement for the 6119 . You can see the parts I'm talking about ....Good Luck....

6106A.pdf

Edited by ricardopalamino
  • Like 2

Hi Vinn, thank you for the advice, I will remember it. I know very little about the mechanics of watches and fully expected to make many mistakes and expect to make many more. But, every time I mess up I learn something new. This is a fantastic forum with many knowledgeable people on it and I am so pleased to have found it. Thanks again, Johnnie

Hi Vin, advice taken, have just ordered "practical watch repairing" by Donald de Carle! I think that's the book you mean, I have taken the dial off the watch as a jiggle didn't sort the problem, I had pushed the button thing out, all back in now but winding stem still pulls out,, not as easy as it did do. It's like it's now catching but not catching enough if that makes sense? Johnnie

Is the finger of the setting lever spring broken off ?

It keeps the pressure on the setting lever that holds if firmly in place and provides the clicks for positive setting positions...[ 1st position , 2nd position for setting . It is a common problem tor these delicate fingers to get broken off when refitting . They are necessary for proper setting operation.

59062061f38f6_ScreenShot2017-04-30at7_26_45AM.thumb.png.041f3814ac98ff27e3517407c573e005.png

5906207520acb_ScreenShot2017-04-30at7_27_37AM.png.59bd5bd2d529f5f2612d485697994e2a.png

• Like 1

Hi Ricardo, I have just checked,, everything is as it should be, nothing broken. But in checking I realised I had positioned it wrong! Have just positioned things as they should have been and now the winding stem is fitted and has clicked into position perfectly, thank you for the "clue" and the diagram. Johnnie

Indeed so Ricardo, I can't tell you how pleased I am. I know to most people on this forum it's not very much, but to me it's great, can't wait for tomorrow so I can finish it. I have to trim the stem next and fit the strap then it will look good. Bought some lock and seal so crown doesn't undo. Johnnie

22 minutes ago, ricardopalamino said:

Use patience when you trim the stem . You have the added gear and spring ,[I think ] , so don't cut it too short . Better a bit long and sneak up to the right length with a fine jewelers file .

Yes, I intend to sneak up on it bit by bit until it's exactly right! Normally I am not used to such tiny tolerances but I am enjoying it. Johnnie

• Like 1