Escapement wheel alignment

Hi, do u guys have better ways of aligning escapement wheel to the top plate? Third ,second and intermediate wheel got no issues going into jewel hole when plate installed, just tht the escapement wheel always cant get into jewel hole. Any good method?

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

I usually use a clean oiler to line up pivots beneath the plate.  It's not an exact science but an oiler is usually thin and narrow enough to slide under the plate without upsetting the pivots I have managed to set in place.

All good ideas above. What I would suggest is to apply very light pressure to the bridge while you nudge wheels back and forth, again, very lightly. This tends to make them try to spin and moves the pivots across the jewel face and with any luck you get a satisfying click as the bridge fully locates.

I did try with the bridge tighened slightly rotate the escapement wheel but not easy to align as the cutout on bridge is minimum. let's say after installation of escapement wheel, when manual wind, the mainspring directly move the sec/min/hour  hands. Does that mean the eacapement wheel didnt contact the pallet fork? 

Here is a way but it is a dangerous practice so be warned.

To stop wheels moving around and dropping out of there holes. Start to screw the plate down so it doesn’t move around, but be very careful not to screw it down to much if you do you will break the pivots off the wheels, with the plate in its correct position you should be able to use your tweezers and move the wheels into their correct position.

This way is much better and safer and is the way I used.

Hold the plate in position by putting a finger with a little pressure to hold the plate and carefully move the wheels into their correct place using your tweezers. When it is all in place and screwed down go over the plate using Rodico to clean off any finger marks.   

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, nickpeh said:

let's say after installation of escapement wheel, when manual wind, the mainspring directly move the sec/min/hour  hands. Does that mean the eacapement wheel didnt contact the pallet fork? 

If the movement is spinning freely with a little power added to the mainspring, either the escapement lever is not located in its pivot bearings, or you have broken a pivot off the the escapement lever.  It is highly unlikely to be anything to do with the setting mechanism.

With some fiddley movement alignments I have used old hippy,s method BUT be very careful as snapping a pivot is very,very easy to do. Looking at the original pics it might be easier for assembly by having the barrel bridge removed so manipulations are easier to see. 

I flipped movement around but no broken parts drop out from it, I assumed no broken pivot. I suspect the escapement wheel not aligned with the 3rd wheel and also with pallet causing the mainspring directly drive the hour,mins,sec hands.

In this watch, I would assemble the train before the barrel.

Even though the disassembly usually starts with the balance wheel, followed by pallet fork,escapement, train wheels and finally the barrel with the reassembly being the reverse.On most watches the barrel train can be fitted after the train bridge is safely secured.

I would try this as it would allow you more sideways access to get everything lined up.

HTH

Anilv

Edited by anilv