Need new motor for BTM watchmaker lathe

Tmuir

My BTM lathe is a war issue version and the motor that is currently driving the lathe is about the same vintage as the lathe, and worst of all is huge and ways over 10kg.

I've just sold my BSA WM20 motorcycle so have some funds to put into new tools and would like to replace the motor for my lathe.

I was thinking about buying a Sherline lathe motor and adapting that, but I'm open to other suggestions. I know I could buy an old sewing machine and use the motor from it, but then I'm back to having a motor that is probably atleast 40 years old. I do want one that has variable speed, the foot pedal would be a nice to have, but not a problem if it doesn't have one.

Anyone have a better suggestion than a Sherline lathe motor, and no I dont want to spend £1500 for the Bergeon lathe motor?

Once I've got a new motor I will make a new base for the lathe and refurbish the lathe too.

Thanks Tony

Edited by Tmuir
correct spelling mistakes

I would try with a sewing machine motor,it can be adjusted right out of the box and is easy to mount on a plate or worktable. .... and soit  is cheap, even from new! You might have to change the pulley!

An alternative is to find a small standard 230V motor and mount it on a plate. It is also possible to use a small 3phase motor and then add a capacitor. The method also makes it easy to reverse with a toggle switch. If you choose the method so I will elaborate and throw a wiring diagram up!

3faset_som_1faset.png