Removing movement from the case?

Gary

On 4/20/2017 at 4:45 AM, Gary said:

Can anyone give me any pointers on removing this movement from the case? I thought it was a breakaway stem but I don't think it is now?

I'm confused.. in the piciture I see the mov.t removed from case, and the case upside down with the dial reversed inside.

• 1 month later...

I have come back to this watch as I need a project for the weekend. Anyone have any ideas on how to remove this movement form the case? I have flipped the movement ove and removed the dial but long term I need to get it out and back in!

any direction or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

thank you in advance!

Gary

That is a strange one? Two piece stem? Looks like the setting lever has a screw? So it can't be lift to remove ? Maybe the movement is only a tight fit in the holder? What does it say on the movement? Any numbers or name? 

Looks like a normal straight forward removal to me.  This lever is held with the screw I have circled which can be loosened from the movement side which allows you to remove the stem. A bit confused with the pics 

5942b86351361_ScreenShot2017-06-15at17_37_33.png.54d25bb89087c81d4e1fa4c85b4b73c1.png

Looks like a normal straight forward removal to me.  This lever is held with the screw I have circled which can be loosened from the movement side which allows you to remove the stem. A bit confused with the pics 

5942b86351361_ScreenShot2017-06-15at17_37_33.png.54d25bb89087c81d4e1fa4c85b4b73c1.png

Gary has already stated that the movement is still in situ in the case back, therefore there is no access to the stem release screw.

The photo is not particularly clear but from what I can see it has to be a split stem. The stem is held in the movement by the set lever which appears to be a standard design as CB has suggested. It would be impossible to tighten the set lever screw with the movement in the case back, therefore the inner part of the stem must be in place before the the movement is installed and the outer part of the stem has to be installed after installation.

I would be inclined to dismantle the keyless works as far as possible to clear the decks and see if it is possible to get a clearer view of the stem where it goes through the case.

• Like 2

Hi E veryone,

I will try to take better photos this evening. Marc is correct. the movement is flipped in the case still in there. The dial was loose and I was able to remove it so we are seeing it in the case just flipped. I tried pulling the stem as I have a Wittnauer that has a split stem but it didn't give. I will try it again or take photos and post. 

Thank you for assisting me with this one. I need to work on it this weekend! Will post more photos tonight.

Gary

Tried to take better photos and tried pulling hard in case it was a break away. No luck 

! Seems I will have to resize my images. Bear with me! 

Edited by Gary
Addendum

I don't understand why you can not access the other side. Some watches the crystal is set in it's own ring which also opens like a snap on case back. I presume this how you have got this far. The back will also open either via a snap back or screw action.

Front like this

59440ddf48ef3_ScreenShot2017-06-16at17_56_06.png.e6476ec8606e31ecb972f292eb1ad444.png 

Gary, the case construction is the same  as a Roamer watch that I service a couple of years ago.  It will be a split stem that has to be separated to remove the movement.  These can be very stiff to separate with a straight pull and leverage may be required.  This was the case with the Roamer.

You might be able to turn the stem to a position that will allow the stem parts to slide apart as you to gently prise the movement out. 

two piece (split) defiantly requires leverage.  I use tweezers under the crown for the slight more leverage,  if the 2 pieces are rusted together - use penetrating oil and heat.  a well worn 2 piece stem comes apart too  easly.   vin

• Similar Content