Gem Tool Question

jdrichard

It is indeed a dial test indicator.  This is usually clamped to the vertical rod on a magnetic base, or in the tool post on a lathe for setting up work to be machined.  It can also me used to test for roundness or linear inaccuracies depending how you configure it in relation to the work being examined.  Another common use is for setting a vice on a milling to ensure it is perfectly in line with the milling table.

There will be many more uses for this precision tool, mostly limited by your requirements and imagination.

The one you have in the picture will measure + / - 15 thousands of an inch.

• Like 1

It is indeed a dial test indicator.  This is usually clamped to the vertical rod on a magnetic base, or in the tool post on a lathe for setting up work to be machined.  It can also me used to test for roundness or linear inaccuracies depending how you configure it in relation to the work being examined.  Another common use is for setting a vice on a milling to ensure it is perfectly in line with the milling table.
There will be many more uses for this precision tool, mostly limited by your requirements and imagination.
The one you have in the picture will measure + / - 15 thousands of an inch.

Thanks Geo for explaining its use. Are there any uses for this in watch repair, like the depth change in a shimmed balance cock perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The only time I have used one in relation to watchmaking, was checking a couple of components for running true when using my watchmakers lathe.

It is unlikely that it would be used for anything else, especially shimming a balance cock.  This is something I would do on a trial and error basis, i.e. add shims until you get the the clearance you require by feel.  Anyway, you have a jacket tool and would be able to shorten the balance staff to get the correct clearance; this would be the correct way to go.

• Like 1