Sicura D500 Jump Watch

Hi, I'm new on here. Have just won a Sicura D500 Jump Watch on ebay. It looks battered from the pictures (yet to arrive) but it is working. I still have my 1973 Sicura, from when I was 11. The hands had fallen off and the mechanism stuck and so I left it for years. My original plan is to use the best case and crystal, take the face from my original and attach it to the working mechanism, and use the new red and white hands. But then I realised that I had never taken the back of the original watch off, so the hands must be inside the case, maybe jamming the mechanism.

So I gave it to a friend who's really looking forward to getting his hands on the watch and learning what makes it tick (apologies for the unintentional pun) but when he unscrewed the back he wasn't sure how to remove the mechanism from the case. He said to me something along the lines that he was looking for a release plate, but couldn't find it, so wondered if it was a block and something, and he didn't want to pull at it, in case it was the wrong thing to do!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to release the mechanism from the case? Many thanks.

Also I'd be grateful for any other tips on polishing out the glass and case. Enclosed is a photo of my original watch.

20170408_204519.jpg

Probably a BFG866 movement. there is a small screw near the stem. Loosening that about two turn and realese  the stem and crown. The movement holder is just loose . It's the small tabs that stick out on the side. Just pull straight up. 

Edited by rogart63
  • Like 2

On 4/19/2017 at 1:14 AM, npharrison said:

The hands had fallen off and the mechanism stuck and so I left it for years.... But then I realised that I had never taken the back of the original watch off, so the hands must be inside the case, maybe jamming the mechanism.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to release the mechanism from the case? Many thanks.

Also I'd be grateful for any other tips on polishing out the glass and case. Enclosed is a photo of my original watch.

There is only one hand - the second one.

You need to post pictures of the mov.t for questions related to it.

You can find many threads on buffing and polishing using the search box on the top right. BTW, your watch has a lapped "sunburst" finishing, which can't be really be done manually.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

JDM - I called the red and white Pointer "hands" because I didn't know I could use the word "hand". Coloured red and white, 2 colours, I thought it might be plural :-)

Thanks for the nod for buffing and polishing. Everyone has been so helpful with their advice. My friend is hopefully looking at the watches this weekend so I'll have some idea of the state of play when I see him, and can work out what to do with them.

I'm refurbishing the original box inlay, having ordered some blue sticky back velour. I'm blowed if I can remember what the original strap was. I have a memory of a red and something coloured canvas strap for a watch, but not sure which one. I know I moved it on to a wide leather strap, with 2 fastenings to hold the watch in the middle of the strap, like a wide wristband, but given the box and inlay, that wasn't original. Don't think I had a metal strap, but a lot of photos show those with the watch.

I'm really enjoying this, as I'd never thought to refurbish a watch till I looked through a tin of childhood memories and got to thinking about my watch and what could be done with it.

• Like 1