Pocket watch battery (Everite)

As a hobbyist I only work on mechanical watches for myself but as I'm sure a lot of us do ... we end up also doing favours for friends and family! One such favour is replacing a battery in a quartz pocket watch for someone. Simple ... or so I thought!

I was expecting the normal back removal situation but this watch has a one-piece back/movement holder so no joy there. The front bevel-with-glass had a small notch in however so a gentle prise and that came off easily. But how to remove the stem so I can remove the movement to gain access to the battery?! 

I can't see anything obvious at all. I removed the bow in case there was something hidden there - nothing. There is literally nothing on the back or around the 'neck' of the watch (which incidentally is moulded as part of the caseback and not separate). If I hold the watch upside down the dial comes away from movement by a few millimeters but I'd snap the stem if I tried anything more drastic. I can't see any button or notch to release the stem at all. :-(

Anyone have any clues?!

IMG_2148.JPG

IMG_2149.JPG

I have not seen one of these before but most pocket watches the crown has to be fully in the out position. Then the movement will come out through the front & I suspect that lever/clip you have highlighted is the release. However I found this youtube vid which shows it could be a snap back.

• Like 1

Thanks ... and appreciate the video link.

Unfortunately I can't see that the back can be taken off. The 'neck' of the watch is moulded into and around the back so this seems to preclude a back opener ... plus there is no discernible lip of any kind; it seems a one-piece unit. :mellow:

I'm stumped! Any other ideas gratefully received!

IMG_2150.JPG

IMG_2151.JPG

• Like 1

As said most , certainly American pocket watches, the crown has to be pulled up to the setting position to remove the movement from the front.
Have you tried rotating the dial in either direction and it might fall out but keep it in the setting position

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks digginstony ... a great idea and about the only thing I haven't tried so far!

With the dial/movement only able to move fractionally away from the case I did manage to just about get a grip with my fingernails so I could attempt to rotate as suggested. Unfortunately no give at all. I might try and find a method that can give me more purchase but after that and with no further ideas I'm going to have to admit defeat.

You sure it's not the cover clasp ?

Sent from my Honor 5c

That's what I first thought it was but these are normally associated with hunter cases where the clasp is depressed by the crown or top button which opens the cover.
This watch appears to be open face.
I would try giving it a tug to see what happens.

That's what I first thought it was but these are normally associated with hunter cases where the clasp is depressed by the crown or top button which opens the cover.
This watch appears to be open face.
I would try giving it a tug to see what happens.

All the Google pics of "Everite quartz pocket watch" show up hunter styles.

Sent from my Honor 5c

Right, if it's a hunter case, which would be a real shame because if the clasp had been modified as a stem retaining spring it would of made this watch really interesting.
I don't know the make but I'm assuming it's not expensive I'm thinking it could be a split stem but this is so unlikely on a quartz watch.
So I'm thinking it's a normal threaded stem with no visible means of release. So hold the crown and give it a good pull as if it was a split stem and I think it's going to come out.
It's rare but some movements are designed that way.
OK there is a chance the stem will break or the crown but if the watch needs a battery, what's to loose ???

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who has offered advice and assistance here.

That silver part is indeed just a clasp to hold the lid closed. Depress the button at the top of the crown and it moves far enough for the case to open. Under close magnification I can see the stem passes through it but it does not interfacee with the stem in any way so is a dead-end.

I've come to the same conclusion that this has to be brute force removal. I have applied what I would consider a lot of force and nothing happens. Before I go Hulk on the watch I'm going to pass this decision back to the owner! If it were mine I'd take the same position as digginstony that it's not operating so nothing to lose but I'll leave the decision with the owner!

There are two more ways in which this could be done:

1. With thin pliers hold the stem next to the lid tab. Unscrew the crown and pull mov.t out.

Or

2. Remove hands and dial to access the stem release.

• Like 1

Thank you again to everyone for your continued assistance in helping solve this problem!

Stuart ... good call; if I give up then I'll point this out to the owner who can take it to H. Samuel and then, you're right, they should at least have someone in their organisation who has come across one of these. Hopefully.

jdm ... I had tried option 1 but to no avail. Part of this may be getting a proper grip on the 'slick' stem (no thread) so I'm not discounting this theory. Perhaps I need to modify some pliers and have another go. Option 2 I'm not sure I understand. I could remove the hands for sure but this wouldn't then free the dial ... my main problem being getting to the underside of the dial and the movement itself.

clockboy ... the neck of the watch case is moulded into the back. If you look at the pic with my 19th April post I hope you can see what I mean. This and seeing zero gap means I have discounted the back opening method. I just can't see how that could work. I will have a super microscope session tonight just in case I'm mistaken but I don't think I am. Not that I don't think I could find an excuse to get a new tool! :-)

Thank you again to everyone for your continued assistance in helping solve this problem!
Stuart ... good call; if I give up then I'll point this out to the owner who can take it to H. Samuel and then, you're right, they should at least have someone in their organisation who has come across one of these. Hopefully.
jdm ... I had tried option 1 but to no avail. Part of this may be getting a proper grip on the 'slick' stem (no thread) so I'm not discounting this theory. Perhaps I need to modify some pliers and have another go. Option 2 I'm not sure I understand. I could remove the hands for sure but this wouldn't then free the dial ... my main problem being getting to the underside of the dial and the movement itself.
clockboy ... the neck of the watch case is moulded into the back. If you look at the pic with my 19th April post I hope you can see what I mean. This and seeing zero gap means I have discounted the back opening method. I just can't see how that could work. I will have a super microscope session tonight just in case I'm mistaken but I don't think I am. Not that I don't think I could find an excuse to get a new tool! :-)

Because careful. I once changed a battery for a friend on a cheap fake WD watch. It had a small inner back snap back case to change the battery but when I looked at the case itself, I saw a faint line going around the case but it also went around the lugs !
The lugs must be hollow and the case constructed in 2 halves. To try and separate would almost be impossible or demolish the case.
I believe it was designed to have the battery replaced but not the movement etc.
I think the cost of the watch was £10 brand new from a certain well known auction site.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, WatchMaker said:

Option 2 I'm not sure I understand. I could remove the hands for sure but this wouldn't then free the dial ... my main problem being getting to the underside of the dial and the movement itself.

You said that the dial is moving already, so certainly there are no dial screws. The stem release button might be under it. There is a recent thread about about another watch that is exactly like that.