Speaking of clocks

WileyDave

I just returned from Canton Ohio, (birthplace of Dueber Hampden) and had an opportunity to visit Wm. McKinley museum for some extended research. Lo and behold, there was the clock movement from one of the towers at the factory. It's a E. Howard & Co. and refreshed with a John Deere tractor green colored paint! As the locals say after the factory was demolished in 1958, it was stored for several years at somebody's home. I don't know who did the restoration, but it looks brand new. (and it works)

DSCF0550.thumb.JPG.ab1275e9fe5e907c72e04cc62192229b.JPG

DSCF0551.thumb.JPG.5d356ebe58e610f38becbaee70942aa2.JPG

DSCF0552.thumb.JPG.28b684656cf534bc8ccfd9b9df2c1b60.JPG

DSCF0554.thumb.JPG.16e10aea39b21dd76bfdec74009e9125.JPG

• Like 4

Sad part about this trip was that the townsfolk have all but forgotten about the factory, there is no marker where the plant once stood, some of the locals we asked never heard of DH, I theorized that because the operation was sold to Amtog (Soviet trading company), and with the news out of the USSR at that time wasn't positive regarding the current regime, that maybe coupled with local job losses, they just wanted to forget the watch works. We met some die hard Hampden fans and dispelled a few of the local 'myths' about what happened in Moscow. On the upside, there were some new discoveries which made it worthwhile.