AS589 - problem removing the ratchet wheel screw

Hi

The ratchet wheel screw on this watch was very tight and it will not come out all the way. I'm wondering if the screw is stripped or someone actually glued it in place.

It turns now but it won't come out. 

Any ideas?

I'm just trying to clean it; it's very dirty and needs a new setting spring but it still works.

Dave

Sounds like it's stripped the threads? Was that with you there? is it the barrel arbor screw that is stripped: That is probably left hand? Not the most common movement either? 

Edited by rogart63

Hi Guys

The crown screw was definitely a LH - to tighten - screw but the ratchet wheel seemed to be a RH screw. I've been wrong before...

But, if it's broken, you'd think it would separate from the barrel arbour easily. 

And, yes, it isn't a common movement.

Dave

I think the screw may have been broken off at some point because it looks a bit ragged on the end.

Plus the barrel arbour may have bad threads. 

Not sure. I need another setting spring but it's hard to find parts for an AS589; as you say, it's not a common movement.

Dave

I am not sure but could it be that the the thread is lefthanded because the barrel sits on the left side? Look at other movements it's usually to the right? 

If i think right the barrel should turn in the opposite direction to the other one? And need a left hand screw? 

Found this on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1930s-AS-589-7J-running-National-Solar-Watch-Co-Cal-1100-watch-head-for-parts-/142310626231?hash=item21225fd3b7:g:14EAAOSwf-VWW6pd

58ecd749c028f_s-l1600(8).thumb.jpg.704408c8cd7ec11c6a7969802947730a.jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

Edited by rogart63