My Grandfather's Pierce Tri-Calendar w/moon phase

Wesley881

Had an interview today and wore this for luck. I had this overhauled over the Summer and it is a handsome piece indeed. Month, day, weekday are set..the moon phase...maybe I can count the clicks? 2470538a8542be71f0cfa167fbbc48f3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Gorgeous! Rare to see one in such good condition. Did you have the dial repainted?

Thanks StuartBaker104. The dial is original, only the crystal and day hand replaced. I love the copper numbers against the tan dial.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow!  That's really special. 

I've been looking for something like that in a modern-production piece and can't seem to find it.  Of course, Patek makes several that are similar but, I won't be purchasing any of them -not in this lifetime, anyhow.

Why in the world won't a modern watch-maker produce something like this?   Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.  Does anyone know of something modern and similar?

Ray

Wow!  That's really special. 
I've been looking for something like that in a modern-production piece and can't seem to find it.  Of course, Patek makes several that are similar but, I won't be purchasing any of them -not in this lifetime, anyhow.
Why in the world won't a modern watch-maker produce something like this?   Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.  Does anyone know of something modern and similar?

Ray

Here's a couple and then for something a little more affordable (Ingersoll)1359cdb45553f828b20c885d03d7e57e.jpg0eb3493e5bcfe0205371cccfbbb954a9.jpg5279d9e3a6d8e504befef25e68c820e1.jpg

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thanks so much for the ideas and tips!

One other question, if I may...  That beautiful Pierce:  About when was that made?

(Just trying to figure out how long it takes history to re-invent itself).

Ray

Unless the OP can offer something more concrete, it would date from about 1950 and will feature the Pierce 103CLD movement.

Part of the attraction of vintage watches like this for me is the curved dial and curved acrylic crystal. There are few modern watches made like that, although the Longines Heritage range and the Seagull 1963 replica come to mind.

• Like 1

One other question, if I may...  That beautiful Pierce:  About when was that made?

Ray

Hi Ray, thanks for the nice words! I haven't got into checking out the S/N on this one. I would imagine my grandfather may have had one watch between his WWII ordinance watch (Waltham 9j) and the pierce. I would guess late 50's to mid 60's. Others feel free to chime in.

Ray

Here's another. No its not the Rolex circa 1931 perpetual automatic design. See the date91215dae6854333b8ddb5ab1a0077721.jpg

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

There also these "Aeromatics" https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DYVH0AK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A38ZZQJ53RZRAA which also capture a nice vintage look and they are automatic.  The issue (as I see it though) is that the date and month must be set manually with the buttons that appear to be chronograph buttons.

Ray

Aeromatic.jpg

Edited by RayCJ
add picture
  • Like 1