Hello from Oldwamkr

i got a job,when 18,in a jewelry store in my home town. the owner,turned out to be a cmw and cmc. he agreed to take me on as appretice. after spending time as a clerk, sweeping up under the lathe benchs, hand filing and theroy, disassembly, cleaning, polishing,assembly, i had spent two yrs. found  an appreticeship program (for 5 yrs) sponsed by NCWA license board.I did my (ojt) in the NC mts. the  owner of the store, she was 5 generation CW, her dad CMW,CMC,her mother CMW, husband CCM,both her son and daughter worked there. I lived with the family,in their home,(24 hrs.per day.I got a job at the old waltham factory.building the A-13A,8 day aircraft clock,for the goverment. I did final assembly,final timing(30 sec in 8 days) !!! a lot of balances to poise. by the way it was done with hand  calipers, you vibrate the calipers with tweezers, the heavy point allways falls down. the last watmkrs guild was in waltham MA, I loved it all,a master was so much more than a profesional,at least to me.I still love fine mechinal works. thank yall,for letting me participate in your group  oldwamkr

• Like 3

2 hours ago, oldwamkr said:

i got a job,when 18,in a jewelry store in my home town. the owner,turned out to be a cmw and cmc. he agreed to take me on as appretice. after spending time as a clerk, sweeping up under the lathe benchs, hand filing and theroy, disassembly, cleaning, polishing,assembly, i had spent two yrs. found  an appreticeship program (for 5 yrs) sponsed by NCWA license board.I did my (ojt) in the NC mts. the  owner of the store, she was 5 generation CW, her dad CMW,CMC,her mother CMW, husband CCM,both her son and daughter worked there. I lived with the family,in their home,(24 hrs.per day.I got a job at the old waltham factory.building the A-13A,8 day aircraft clock,for the goverment. I did final assembly,final timing(30 sec in 8 days) !!! a lot of balances to poise. by the way it was done with hand  calipers, you vibrate the calipers with tweezers, the heavy point allways falls down. the last watmkrs guild was in waltham MA, I loved it all,a master was so much more than a profesional,at least to me.I still love fine mechinal works. thank yall,for letting me participate in your group  oldwamkr

That is a great bit of historical storytelling. Thank you for sharing it.

J

• 2 weeks later...