9 hours ago, jdrichard said:

That is friggen nuts. I am always amazed at the ingenuity of humans. Electrical engineers needed to be involved somehow:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bingo , you are correct ,...engineers were involved .  Simply speaking , [ so even I can understand it ] , like a magnet , electro magnet to be more precise , a current is induced to attract the balance with the coil to some magnets in the base plate , the circuit is interrupted , then the hairspring  causes the balance to return in the opposite direction , a current is induced to attract the balance in the other direction , once again the circuit is interrupted and the cycle starts over .

If I didn't explain the exact operation , I'm pretty darned close . :jig:

• Like 1

Bingo , you are correct ,...engineers were involved .  Simply speaking , [ so even I can understand it ] , like a magnet , electro magnet to be more precise , a current is induced to attract the balance with the coil to some magnets in the base plate , the circuit is interrupted , then the hairspring  causes the balance to return in the opposite direction , a current is induced to attract the balance in the other direction , once again the circuit is interrupted and the cycle starts over .

If I didn't explain the exact operation , I'm pretty darned close . :jig:

So I'm an electrical engineer and completely understand your explanation. The big question is how does one clean one of these babies and is any of the mechanical watch cleaning solution relevant

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, jdrichard said:

So I'm an electrical engineer and completely understand your explanation. The big question is how does one clean one of these babies and is any of the mechanical watch cleaning solution relevant

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Taking Geo's good advice , I have started a new thread....Cleaning an electric watch .

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've always cleaned parts by hand, but now looking for specific experience of cleaning fluids, having just acquired an ultrasonic bath.  I don't get time to work on more than 1 watch a month at the most.  For hand cleaning I've been using renata essence, but since it's flammable and evaporates quickly I didn't  think putting a jar of it in an ultrasonic bath would be such a great idea... however, it appears that the bespoke ultrasonic fluids are also listed as flammable, but not quite so bad.

Cousins sells 4 main brands - Bergeon, Elma, Greiner and L&F.  I'm leaning towards the Elma WF Pro cleaner and Elma suprol rinse  which can be had in 2.5 l containers, are water free, ready to use but would appreciate opinions before I spend my money. I note that the cleaner contains ammonia so whilst it will brighten metals which tarnish, it is important to limit exposure.

Thanks

• Like 1

If you are using a ultrasonic bath rather than a  multi jar cleaning machine could you not use water in the bath but then place your parts in a separate container with the chosen cleaning fluid in it and put the full thing in the bath, then you could use a simular container for a rinsing fluid and just transfer the parts.

Containers you put your fluids in could even have a lid on to keep the fumes under control. You can also only use a smaller amount of fluid, rather than filling the full ultrasonic with fluid.

Edited by Tiktok
  • Like 1

That's exactly what I do. My ultrasonic cleaning machine is large as I use it more for weapons cleaning. When I'm cleaning a watch, I fill two small Pyrex glass cups with solution. One rinse and one clean. I put the parts in Bergeon baskets and place them in the Pyrex. Works like a champ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, I too was mainly using the eccense of renata for hand cleaning and some off the shelf ultra sonic cleaning solution,  I was looking at the L&r stuff at cousins but was undecided at what one to get, ill use isopropyl alcohol as a rinse agent as it's basically the same as an expensive bottle of branded rinse agent.

Now ive got to stump up the £8.50 extra postage from cousins due to it being a hazardous material!!!!!

Thanks everyone. Summary of above sounds like any of the main brands would be fine and zero votes for delivery by post.
I think L&R probably gets it. I had collected some jam jars to put in the ultrasonic before it arrived, but will need some smaller ones.

Pyrex 100ml beaker. Amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use these for small parts like Accutron index-wheels in the ultrasonic--

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2ml-test-tube-sample-vials-container-with-snap-cap-x-25-Freepost-/120916343579?hash=item1c272cfb1b:g:8VkAAOSwPe1Tz5aQ

The advantage is--being a sorta softish plastic, parts bouncing round due to the ultra dont get damaged as could be possible using a glass bottle/vial/beaker, being semi sealed you can use any cleaning fluid you like in them with just water in the ultrasonic tank keeping cleaner fluids costs down
--Yup. I'm a cheapskate!

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Alastair said:

I use these for small parts like Accutron index-wheels in the ultrasonic

Very useful... I have one of those in my queue for this year. I know the plastic attenuates the ultrasonic waves, but I guess you have found they still clean like this. What cleaning fluid do you use?

On 28/03/2017 at 10:26 PM, dman2112 said:

Pyrex 100ml beaker. Amazon

Thanks for the good idea... but even better if they had lids like jam jars, which was part of my plan.

Jut to piggy back off of this discussion, I am using an ultrasonic cleaner as described in the discussion above. I put soapy water in the machine. Into that I place mason jars that have my cleaning and rinsing solutions. I put my parts into those little parts baskets and place them in the mason jars. This seems to work well for the parts. 

Given that the mainspring is a larger and more unwieldy item, do you just stick it into the jar by itself, since it won't fit into the baskets? Is there a better way to clean it so that it doesn't get damaged?

Well I can now highly reccomend the L&R ultra fine cleaning solution, mine arrived today and I used it on an old waltham pocket watch movement. WOW, its the best cleaning solution ive used, every part nice and clean and also shiney, followed by two rinses and a low powered hair dryer .

I'm seriously impressed and will be looking forward to now saving time and getting great results in my next job on the bench.

On 4/7/2017 at 4:17 PM, transporter said:

Well I can now highly reccomend the L&R ultra fine cleaning solution, mine arrived today and I used it on an old waltham pocket watch movement. WOW, its the best cleaning solution ive used, every part nice and clean and also shiney, followed by two rinses and a low powered hair dryer .

I'm seriously impressed and will be looking forward to now saving time and getting great results in my next job on the bench.

Are you using this with a mechanical or an ultrasonic cleaner? 

Ultra sonic, but I do like to hand clean aswell, now this is where you tell me I didn't read the small print and the ultra fine fluid cannot be used in an ultra sonic machine now isn't it.

must say I don't think it makes a difference as to how it's used, it does the job, I use it in a separate jar by itself in the ultra sonic machine.

Edited by transporter
  • Like 2