Regulating an Omega 684

I got this Omega 684 movement and it was keeping time to about 10 seconds a day but I've tested it now and it's gaining so much time and so out of beat the timegrapher is struggling to recognize it as a watch. I've poked the levers into every combination an it's still not working. What should I do now? Thanks for the help.

DSC_2659.thumb.JPG.b53a0edfb301f49f85722644d612d72b.JPG

3 minutes ago, Titanium said:

I got this Omega 684 movement and it was keeping time to about 10 seconds a day but I've tested it now and it's gaining so much time and so out of beat the timegrapher is struggling to recognize it as a watch. I've poked the levers into every combination an it's still not working. What should I do now? Thanks for the help.

DSC_2659.thumb.JPG.b53a0edfb301f49f85722644d612d72b.JPG

What happened between the first time and now? If it's gaining it could be magnetized or it could be oil on the hairspring. From the picture I can see the watch is running, but are the coils touching? Looks like they are. Check your hairspring coils.

• Like 1

Are you sure the hairspring is between the 2 regulating pins on the regulating arm, if I remember correctly there is just 2 pins sticking down and the hairspring can actually jump out and rest against the wrong side of one of the pins, this would give an erratic reading.

7 hours ago, Titanium said:

I got this Omega 684 movement and it was keeping time to about 10 seconds a day but I've tested it now and it's gaining so much time and so out of beat the timegrapher is struggling to recognize it as a watch

so in between 10 seconds a day and not being recognized what changed? Did it do it all by itself or was it the results of you pushing the levers wildly around?

So the beat adjustment lever is interesting in that there is no plus or minus. this means we are moving it in one direction if you moving too fast or you're not careful you can go past zero. Then very very tiny amounts of movement or you can be extremely far out of beat. Then the timing machine is averaging if you move too fast you can exceed its ability to read which are doing and once again you can go way beyond where you want to be very effortlessly.

so puzzling your picture is the regulator is so close to the stud it seems like it would be extremely slow? so it's very hard to tell in the picture I'm wondering if the terminal curve is where it's supposed to be? If you get carried away with moving the levers it's always possible to bend a hairspring. It almost looks like the spring may be off-center. If it's off-center far enough which I can't tell from the photograph it may be it's bumping into the back side of the stud or even the regulator pins. That would make it run very very fast.

omega 683 684.JPG

It is for sure a hairspring issue. Either it has become magnetised, distorted or oil/dirt is causing the coils to to stick together. The regulator is way to close to the end stud arm so it might be way of beat or the regulator has been moved to far. I suspect your poking around has put it a mile out of beat so that arm is the one to be moved. I suggest before any more moves use very good magnification to inspect the coils

6 hours ago, clockboy said:

It is for sure a hairspring issue. Either it has become magnetised, distorted or oil/dirt is causing the coils to to stick together. The regulator is way to close to the end stud arm so it might be way of beat or the regulator has been moved to far. I suspect your poking around has put it a mile out of beat so that arm is the one to be moved. I suggest before any more moves use very good magnification to inspect the coils

I agree. Look at the coil. Then deal with the regulator arm. As many have mentioned, it is too close to the end stud.

J

6 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Poor thing looks like it could well benefit from a really good service, cleaning and relub. Those pics make it look stinking dirty, some parts have even gone green!

During this work, the fault will prob be self evident...

Come now @Alistair, stinking dirty?!? it's not all that bad.... is it?

J

28 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Maybe its the pics, but to me--yes, it does look terribly dirty!

Omega plates, wheels etc--Sparkle when clean...

Yeah I agree, Omega makes beautiful copper-plated workings that gleam when clean. But Titanium is a newcomer, and to him this movement probably doesn't look that bad. As you said, maybe it's the pics.

J

Edited by noirrac1j

It could do with a good service but I think even when cleaned the "green bits" on the edge of the plates I think he will find won't look much better, it looks like the oscillating wieght bearing/axle is worn (or at some point has been) and as it's been turning with too much play it has been catching the plates and damaged them, now the plating on the edge of the plates has worn off it won't ever look sparkling.