Oiler cleaning

Hey gang,

I've been working on learning this stuff. I have a test movement and a book and I have been practicing stripping down the various components and reassembling them. 

I think I am about ready to try to fully strip, clean, and re-lube it. It seems like you might use a particular sized oiler to apply one oil, then use that same oiler to apply a different oil. It seems like you would want to clean the oiler in between to prevent cross contaminating the oils. Is that true, and if so, how do you clean the oiler in between uses?

Thanks.

Good old pith is the answer as Geo has said. The set of oilers I had came with covers, I always put the cover back on to stop dirt getting to it, don't forget to cover the oil when not being used.  Good luck with your quest.

• Like 1

Hey thanks everyone. Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to just the regular oilers. My tool collection doesn't contain an automatic oiler yet. It also doesn't have pith wood yet unfortunately. I do have some Rodico, so I'll just try that for now. Thanks again.

I have one for oiling old balance jewels that don't come apart easily.  I use good quality dipper oilers for everything else.  I think if you were intending using automatic oilers for everything, it would be better to buy two or three and have them charged with the oils that you use the most.

I see no problem in flushing them out with the likes of white spirit, but make sure all the spirit has evaporated before re-charging with oil.