Unidentified Rolex/RWC movements

I'm working my way through a huge number of watches, movements and parts trying to decide what's worth restoring. A few days ago I encountered two examples of early Rolex models. Both have what appears to be the same 10.5''' movement with minor differences in finish. One (not the one shown in this post) is signed "Rebberg" on the bottom plate - I understand that this company was one of the RWC suppliers. I recall that when I investigated the serial numbers (2 sources) they were both dated in the early 1930s. One of them (again, not this one) actually has a stem - where do they disappear to? - although it doesn't seem to fit properly.
The closest I can get to accurately identifying this movement is a reference in the Paulson catalogue to the Gruen 806-817 version. I can't trace any equivalent on the Ranfft site which is not the most convenient db to search unless you already know what you're looking for.
Both movements appear at first glance to have intact and free balance assemblies. There is one stem which may or may not be correct. Both lack hands. Before I can begin to try to trace parts for these pieces it would be a big help to correctly identify the movements. I don't have a Bestfit catalogue unfortunately but I would appreciate help in identification and an opinion on whether the prospects for reviving these exist at all.
I'll make a second post with the other watch images.
Roy

Edit. I have a PDF of the Paulson catalogue but can't locate them there either. Maybe it's me?

Silver_RWC-3190038.JPG

Silver_RWC-3190039.JPG

Silver_RWC-3190042.JPG

Silver_RWC-3190043.JPG

Silver_RWC-3190044.JPG

Silver_RWC-3190045.JPG

Edited by skridlov

4 hours ago, skridlov said:

Here's the second example in a gold filled oyster case.

Oyster_RWC-3190032.JPG

Oyster_RWC-3190033.JPG

Oyster_RWC-3190034.JPG

Oyster_RWC-3190035.JPG

Oyster_RWC-3190037.JPG

I think what you have with these watches is a bit of a mish mash of parts the case for this one is a model 2416 2 piece cushion oyster, the case is not gold filled it is a english hallmarked 9 ct gold and was imported into Glasgow 1936 and that ties in very neatley with the case serial number, the movement is unrelated to this watch it would have had 10.5 ligne extra prima movement and all examples I can find in my refrence books and online have such fitted. The case its self would have had a screw down oyster crown and looks like someone has removed the case tube.

The movement is a Aegler Rebberg 7 jewel 10.5 ligne and could date from 1912 to the mid twenties but certainly not the mid 1930's, it would fit into this case but could have been fron a trench watch, or hinged lug type watch of either a ladies or gents watch, the dial could be original to the movement as the earliest Rolexes where not always signed on the dial.

Having reread your post the Aegler calibre 806 10.5 ligne is the same as the gruen 806 10.5 ligne stems are available for this movement but are 51 euros each,

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Rolex-Rebberg-10-1-2-cal-806-by-Aegler-1-Swiss-Made-winding-stem-by-Bergeon-/252814985779?hash=item3adcf28a33:g:ku8AAOSwvg9XaeZE

Edited by wls1971
  • Like 1

Many thanks, very detailed explanation.

The Oyster case certainly looked all wrong to me given the likely antiquity of the movement and the absence of the usual oyster waterproofing. A "frankenwatch" then. I'll see what I can get for those bits as seen. I wonder what the stem I have belong to - it was bagged with the "oyster"? I've got an awful lot of these movements which derive from scrapped cases. Who scraps a JLC or an IWC? And somewhere there's a giant mountain of orphaned stems...

Roy

6 hours ago, skridlov said:

I'm working my way through a huge number of watches, movements and parts trying to decide what's worth restoring. A few days ago I encountered two examples of early Rolex models. Both have what appears to be the same 10.5''' movement with minor differences in finish. One (not the one shown in this post) is signed "Rebberg" on the bottom plate - I understand that this company was one of the RWC suppliers. I recall that when I investigated the serial numbers (2 sources) they were both dated in the early 1930s. One of them (again, not this one) actually has a stem - where do they disappear to? - although it doesn't seem to fit properly.
The closest I can get to accurately identifying this movement is a reference in the Paulson catalogue to the Gruen 806-817 version. I can't trace any equivalent on the Ranfft site which is not the most convenient db to search unless you already know what you're looking for.
Both movements appear at first glance to have intact and free balance assemblies. There is one stem which may or may not be correct. Both lack hands. Before I can begin to try to trace parts for these pieces it would be a big help to correctly identify the movements. I don't have a Bestfit catalogue unfortunately but I would appreciate help in identification and an opinion on whether the prospects for reviving these exist at all.
I'll make a second post with the other watch images.
Roy

Edit. I have a PDF of the Paulson catalogue but can't locate them there either. Maybe it's me?

Silver_RWC-3190038.JPG

Silver_RWC-3190039.JPG

Silver_RWC-3190042.JPG

Silver_RWC-3190043.JPG

Silver_RWC-3190044.JPG

Silver_RWC-3190045.JPG

I have had time to study this watch and I am utterly convinced that the case for this one is not Rolex, its a silver case imported into London 1928 and has a George Dimier sponsors mark, I can not find refrence to George Dimier having supplied cases to Rolex, the RWC ltd stamp should be a well defined oval shape this one is clearly not the rolex stamps look like a later edition to the case to me.

Again the movement is unrelated to the case but is a 15 jewel 10.5 Aegler Rebberg

Thanks. I hadn't looked closely at the hallmarks on the assumption that there was an approximate age similarity to the movement. Also, given the fact that all these items have been slumbering in a bag for at least 20 years it was unlikely for them to have been intentionally faked. 

Well, at least the movements are genuine. Any offers?

Roy

• 1 year later...