I've got pegwood in my jewel hole....HELP!!!

I've excelled myself this time, and broken a piece of pegwood off in a capped jewel, and I don't think they come apart.

Can anyone come up with an idea, or suggest how to split the jewel?

fullsizeoutput_544.jpeg.b2bad84a312dd65c6e81003d031a6ce9.jpegfullsizeoutput_545.jpeg.ede754f1516e14ca131627f6587fb39f.jpeg

Edited by ftwizard

I have one of these in my toolkit, just wondered if it might suck out the pegwood if a little water is added to the jewel.  Basically you push down the plunger, place the nozzle over the part and press the button to release the plunger and suck-up the fluid (normally molten solder from a joint etc).

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-de-solder-pump-n40ch

I would soak the plate in lighter fluid as digginstony suggests until the wood becomes pliable , then use a fine needle or oiler as old hippy mentioned , plus use a blower . OR, put it into an ultra sonic with fluid so it soaks and vibrates out . 

I think the key is patience to let it get soft in some fluid . I think in this case I might try a few short blasts with compressed air if all else failed .

I've tried all your suggestions, apart from the ultrasonic wash, as I don't have one. Nothing worked, so I'm putting it down to experience. The jewel is only for a click pivot in an auto wind mechanism, so it's not too critical.

This type of cap jewel was discussed recently.. I believe the consensus was that this type of cap is non-serviceable.

Look out for an organ-donor is the only realistic option. Once you've got one, experiment with the old one to see how it comes apart..if at all, and share the results here!

All the best!

7 hours ago, anilv said:

This type of cap jewel was discussed recently.. I believe the consensus was that this type of cap is non-serviceable.

Look out for an organ-donor is the only realistic option. Once you've got one, experiment with the old one to see how it comes apart..if at all, and share the results here!

All the best!

Good call. I might just do that.

Try a electric toothbrush (the vibrating or ultrasonic kind) with a bit of distilled water.  I just used this with a piece of wood toothpick jammed in the case engraving on a silver cameo locket - watch.