Ebay Carriage Clock

oldhippy

Here we have a carriage clock in French style (so it is not French) the seller says. As the pictures are clear, it is easy to point out why. Look carefully at the red cloisonné it is very rough and does not fit properly. Click on the small picture 4, what you see on the back of this movement all that striking work would be behind the dial of a French Carriage Clock. Move to the last small picture, which is number 8 and you, see the platform escapement, this is a dead giveaway it’s cheap and held with modern screws and the whole platform looks modern. If you want the proper thing, expect to pay around £1000 and not £300 odd on this type of rubbish. This I expect was made in one of those countries by cheap labour.  

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/French-Style-Color-Floral-Red-Cloisonne-Repeater-4-Column-Carriage-Clock-/252822795595?hash=item3add69b54b:g:MwAAAOSwymxVIhZe

Sadly for every genuine french carriage clock there are a thousand chinese fakes on ebay, its absolutley flooded with this crap, there are those who state exactly what these clocks are and those who try and decieve. They.can be bought very cheapley through the chinese equivalent of ebay  "taboa" the factories producing them are geared up to producing these in their thousands i see more and more turning up in auction house and some are far higher quality than that shown.

There are far too many people making a good living from reproductions and fakes on ebay but seem to have been doing it for years,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Important-Chinese-Qing-Dynasty-gold-plated-silver-Dragons-desk-Clock-Cloisonne-/151765941139?hash=item2355f47b93:g:IRsAAOSwHnFVvh3Y

the guy selling the adove has been altering clocks and watches for years and selling them as rare and asking many, thousands for them some are laughable but some are quite sophisticated but they use some very high quality originals and then alter them in such a way as to add value, criminal vandalism is how I see them,

as alway Buyer beware

4 hours ago, wls1971 said:

Sadly for every genuine french carriage clock there are a thousand chinese fakes on ebay, its absolutley flooded with this crap, there are those who state exactly what these clocks are and those who try and decieve. They.can be bought very cheapley through the chinese equivalent of ebay  "taboa" the factories producing them are geared up to producing these in their thousands i see more and more turning up in auction house and some are far higher quality than that shown.

There are far too many people making a good living from reproductions and fakes on ebay but seem to have been doing it for years,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Important-Chinese-Qing-Dynasty-gold-plated-silver-Dragons-desk-Clock-Cloisonne-/151765941139?hash=item2355f47b93:g:IRsAAOSwHnFVvh3Y

the guy selling the adove has been altering clocks and watches for years and selling them as rare and asking many, thousands for them some are laughable but some are quite sophisticated but they use some very high quality originals and then alter them in such a way as to add value, criminal vandalism is how I see them,

as alway Buyer beware

but but but... the balance wheel has GOLD weights!!!! and there is $80 worth of sterling silver in it (according to the description)!!! funny :)

56 minutes ago, frenchie said:

but but but... the balance wheel has GOLD weights!!!! and there is $80 worth of sterling silver in it (according to the description)!!! funny :)

Yes and dont forget it comes with a " CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY"  this guy has been making thousands for years with this tat

The problem with Ebay is they will only do something about sellers like these if they are selling obvious fakes of current models E.G Rolex's, Omega's, Brietling, etc, but this leaves the door open for vintage fakes over the past year I have seen countless fake vintage Breitling  watches made from landeron derived chronos with fake dials fitted and laser etched markings on both case and movement, I report all I see but nothing is ever done and in some cases they are selling for thousands, they are mostly but not exclusively coming out of Italy.

Fake and altered pocket watch are coming from eastern Europe mainly with spurious military or royal connections, they even fake documentation to make them look like they where gifts to certain military figures complete with photos, receipts etc, they are though taking some very high end watches with high intrinsic value in their own right and sticking Skulls, U-boats, Military crosses, Portraits, and anything else they can think off to add value, It is in my opinion vandalism with criminal intent  it sickens me to see such fantastic piece ruined.

I have seen plenty of the Chinese clock's on Ebay and in auction houses and not all auction houses are cataloging them correctly meaning they are being misrepresented and fetching more than they should be its a shame but it makes it even more imperative for those who collect to educate themselves through sites such as this, and not get stung by the criminals,

"Buyer beware":mad:

Edited by wls1971