Guitar and watch repair

Not exactly combining the two but I did build a custom strat once - it was fun, but i ended up taking it to a pro in order to adjust the neck and frets, he did an amazing job.
IMG_0056.thumb.JPG.3e55f6069d0660f65a8dea82dd2886d8.JPG

Very nice piece. I have a Strat Plus with all the best hardware. I built a solid body Less Paul copy once and had an artist paint all my guitar hero's on it. I'll have to post it. Been playing rock and blues for 50 years; started at 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I also combine the two been playing since i was about 12 but I,m now learing how to play again after my stroke last year it is smashing therapy tho gets your brain working again. luckily it was on the right side so my fingering hand wasnt affected but strumming sometimes is a pain but the pickings ok for lead breaks sort of lost the use of my wrist.

• Like 3

My Dad repaired watches for half a century and played lead guitar and mandolin on weekends for just as long.  He made both look easy... B)

My sisters and I sometimes helped him pack up his instruments after a gig.  One time, my sister put his Les Paul behind the car... he thought she'd put it in the trunk (boot) and he backed over it.  Yikes!!! :startle: 

He bought another guitar and gave the broken guitar to his friend, who rebuilt it and played it for years.  

By some miracle my sister is still alive. :unsure:

• Like 3

I took the stock pickups off my Epiphone Les Paul Standard II and replaced them with Gibson pickups. I am using the coils to rewind a quartz watch coil.  Does that count as mixing Guitar repair with watch repair?

Very very good mix in technology. However, you should have used phat cat pickups I on the Epiphany to get the bite. I do need to create a spring for an Elgin I am repairing and never thought of perhaps using an E string for the click spring; thoughts?

I am the one on the left. The guy on the right is my friend Jim. The guitar I am holding is a Rhyne acoustic steel string. I worked with Jay Rhyne from 1971 to 1977 building guitars and designing the machinery we used to make the guitar parts. Jay died a few years ago after a long illness and these guitars are quite rare.

AgXPD78CAAEBzmr.jpg

david

• Like 3

I am the one on the left. The guy on the right is my friend Jim. The guitar I am holding is a Rhyne acoustic steel string. I worked with Jay Rhyne from 1971 to 1977 building guitars and designing the machinery we used to make the guitar parts. Jay died a few years ago after a long illness and these guitars are quite rare.
 AgXPD78CAAEBzmr.jpg
david

Sad for your friend. I too have made a few solid body guitars. However, i found that making guitars and producing takes away from playing....so now I play.b70d188399c0734ff9f208896118548c.jpg

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not exactly combining the two but I did build a custom strat once - it was fun, but i ended up taking it to a pro in order to adjust the neck and frets, he did an amazing job.
IMG_0056.thumb.JPG.3e55f6069d0660f65a8dea82dd2886d8.JPG

What is with the wires coming out of the jack?

My Dad repaired watches for half a century and played lead guitar and mandolin on weekends for just as long.  He made both look easy... B)
My sisters and I sometimes helped him pack up his instruments after a gig.  One time, my sister put his Les Paul behind the car... he thought she'd put it in the trunk (boot) and he backed over it.  Yikes!!! :startle: 
He bought another guitar and gave the broken guitar to his friend, who rebuilt it and played it for years.  
By some miracle my sister is still alive. :unsure:

You can check out some of my guitar on YouTube, here is the link.

8 hours ago, jdrichard said:

This is me playing Santana on my aluminum chromed guitar

Europa is one of my favorite songs on the whole planet... oh, and on Jupiter, too.  You do it justice... 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2017 at 0:55 PM, Sleeper said:

I took the stock pickups off my Epiphone Les Paul Standard II and replaced them with Gibson pickups. I am using the coils to rewind a quartz watch coil.  Does that count as mixing Guitar repair with watch repair?

:D

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jdrichard said:

Very very good mix in technology. However, you should have used phat cat pickups I on the Epiphany to get the bite. I do need to create a spring for an Elgin I am repairing and never thought of perhaps using an E string for the click spring; thoughts?

I was going for reliability over changing the sound. So the Stock USA made Gibson pickups seemed right.  Also I am a drummer but sometimes I have to work out cords so I have a guitars for that.  I wife is a flute player that plays only wooden native craftsman made flutes. So I play her backup sounds. So I have way more drums, cymbals, chimes, rattles, gongs and things that go pop and clack than anything with strings.

As far as using a E string for a spring, it has lots of nickel in it and so I bet it won't temper to spring hard.

• Like 1