Advertise Here
Dave84

Timex Stem & Crown

13 posts in this topic

Hi All 

Not long ago I was given and old Timex that belonged to my grandfather. It came to me as pictured and I haven't had the time to look at it since, I know very little about Timex watches and I am not even sure what model or what year it was manufactured in. Its missing its stem/crown, so I would like to identifying a suitable replacement. 

I would be very grateful if anyone could shed some light on this watch or even point me in the right direction so that I can find out if the old thing will still tick over and hopefully put it back into daily use.  

Many Thanks in Advance 

DSC_1689.thumb.JPG.99943fa71650d7ddeb2b2c254534a6e0.JPG58cd3a257c059_DSC_1686(2).thumb.JPG.0bbf4fb4b938367b6dac05539b0f3d31.JPG

There are some numbers on the dial at the 6 o'clock marker, unfortunately your photo isn't clear enough for me to read them. If you could post the numbers, I can tell you more about the watch. 

I have looked at this watch several times today and completely missed the numbers below the 6 o'clock marker. Only after looking at it through the eyeglass did I have the 'aghhh' moment. :unsure: Obviously not looking close enough. 

The numbers read 26761 2573 

there also is a timex forum.   i like timex, but  thru the years they seem to change the stem removal method.  there is also a timex dating chart on line.  Roy (of the watch forum) is the expert.

Dave84 likes this

The first 5 digits relate to the model number, the next 2 the movement and the last 2 the date of manufacture (1973).

The movements were not intended to be serviced and parts are virtually unobtainable, but if you'd asked last week, you could have bougt this for it http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-TIMEX-Replacement-Watch-Movement-M-25-In-Original-Container-/381990989165?hash=item58f06fed6d:g:HMcAAOSwopRYkkwH

If you want to get it going then I suggest either looking out for a donor with a stem, or fitting a Chinese movement.

Stuart Baker is correct, the catalog number is 26761, It's a Marlin (water resistant) calendar model. A #25 hand wind movement, and the year is 1973. 

It uses a one piece crown and stem, I'll check and see which one when I get home this evening. It might be available, it's possible that I even have it myself.

Cheers!

Dave84 likes this

Thanks David, Vinn and Stuart 

I now have the model, date and a service manual for the movement. 

Just need to source the Stem/crown and get it serviced, something I might attempt myself as I need to start somewhere....

Cheers for the quick responses !

I think I've located the crown & stem that you need. Since yours is a UK model, I don't have an exact reference, but I believe that I have found its American cousin, 26760. As far as I can tell the cases are the same. 

The Timex part number is 025-060054

The crown and stem can be found in the material system 401/1 TX1K, listed as compartment 10.

I've attached some pictures, and if you want it just send me a PM and I'll mail one off to you. 

DSCF1619.JPG

DSCF1620.JPG

DSCF1621.JPG

RyMoeller likes this

The crown and stem are on their way, I posted them Monday afternoon.  Let me know when they show up.

Have Fun!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By WorldPowerLabs
      Hello all,
      I'm about to service a Timex 260 electric movement.  It's running strong as-is, but I doubt that it has been cleaned or lubricated in its lifetime.  I do have the service manual for the movement and for most of the oil points, the SM calls for Moebius Synt-A-Lube, without specifying a product number (I intend to use Moebius 9010), but for the friction pinion the manual calls for "spreading type oil" (Woods AAAA oil).  I cannot find a cross-reference for this old Woods oil and most watch oils are, of course, specifically formulated to NOT spread...  so, I'm seeking advice and suggestions for a suitable oil to use on the friction pinion.  Also, if anyone thinks that 9010 is NOT appropriate to use for the various other points, please let me know.
      Thanks much!
      Ben
    • By Walkers
      Hello everyone from Florida! 
      My name is Scott and I have been working with mostly Timex watches for the past four years (restoring and collecting) and have recently branched out into Seiko's. My first refurbish is a '68 6119 and has been both rewarding and challenging. SO much to learn!
      I belong to another forum which is great, and was recommended this forum by a member here. This looks to be a great place to hang out to both learn and contribute what I can. 
      Thanks!
      Scott
    • By DouglasSkinner
      I've recently encountered the world of Timex watches.  As everyone knows they are still in production and the new Timex watches are all quartz.   But the line goes back decades.  I myself have bags of discarded Timexes.  Been fiddling with them recently.  I've had a few flops but I'm surprised as how robust they are.  Even my paws seem sufficient to revive some of them.  Recently spent a pleasant half-day working on an old 50-60's era men's mechanical.  Polished the case, buffed the crystal, did a partial disassembly of the movement, popped the whole thing into the cleaner.  Came out looking like a new watch.  Put the balance back in (and made a bit of a mess of it) and it works.  Seems to keep good time in spite of my faux pas (paws!).  It would be fun to get a bag of watches working again.
      Anyone know how to service the Timex Electric; the analog mechanical watch coupled to a solenoid (or something like it) which was used to provide a push to the balance to provide timing and energy.  I have several.  They look like they'd work but I doubt they would with modern batteries. (???)
      I've perused several threads here from like minded individuals who, like me, love these humble little pieces that lack all pretense yet "do their duty" faithfully.  How can we share information?  I really would like some tips/tricks/gadgets etc. that would make restoration easier and safer.
    • By Ontimewatchesuk
      Hi
      I am new here. I am trying to find stem for timex caliber M921. It's discontinued everywhere. Is there anyone can help me finding this part please.....
    • By iceni
      this was my first watch my father gave to me it had stopped years ago but with a little oil it started working again , lucky for me , now it is time to install a new crystal and this is my problem is this a what they call a high dome crystal or is this a small dome crystal , it has a small lip around it and is 27.11mm as seen in the photo`s 

on the the watch face it has these number
      23150 02474 I found out the last number 74 is the year 1974 ,
      I would be grateful for any help