Tag 1500 Ladies bezel damaged

jmw

Alright, but aren't talking about law here. Not all cases go to course, and if they do, it is small claims. Just a simple practical precaution. Which service manager would have the face to claim that damage was pre-existing when pictures had accompanied the watch?

Absolutely agree with you. Pictures are better than no pictures. Just don't get wrapped up in an expensive legal case where the only people who really profit is solicitors and barristers

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I just wondered Tony, as it didn't seem to be relevant to the original post.

The point is that with restrictive practices becoming more common in the watch industry regards the Swiss and the treatment as alleged by the OP, the more likely people are going to have to use these appointed service centres, With the disappearance of the independent watchmaker/Repairer. People need to protect themselves.
Also with the higher costs involved, these watches I believe are going to become less as a practical timepiece and more an object of investment.
If the Tag centre do agree to repair the watch in question I strongly recommend that the OP take delivery in the presence of somebody deemed independent. If the Tag service is capable of returning a watch in such condition, what's to say next time they won't just send him an empty box! Without a witness see where you are then.

Abominable!  Goes to show that, like car repair, taking your watch an "authorized service center" can be also be risky.  My guess is that some--I don't know how many--have figured out ways to game the Swiss-imposed system as here in America, such centers simply need certification; they don't have to be facilities and personnel actually owned and employed by the company in question.  In fact, I know some very talented watchmakers who have been denied certification simply because the company doesn't want to give competition to pre-existing service centers nearby.  Competition would naturally put pressure on the company to lower prices for service while letting the customer choose by reputation and not because it's the only place to go.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2017 at 10:26 AM, Chopin said:

Wow what a terrible job. It's as if they sent it hoping that you wouldn't notice... Please keep us up to date as to how it all moves along.

Ok, quick update. Returned to TAG UK repair centre. Good news is that the bezel will be replaced 'on this occasion' free of charge.

They have not given any indication yet as to what caused the damage or why it was returned in this condition after they serviced it in the first place. Only downside is that at the moment they are estimating another month until the watch is returned.

I'll update again when the watch is returned.....

• Like 3

Ok, quick update. Returned to TAG UK repair centre. Good news is that the bezel will be replaced 'on this occasion' free of charge.
They have not given any indication yet as to what caused the damage or why it was returned in this condition after they serviced it in the first place. Only downside is that at the moment they are estimating another month until the watch is returned.

To me they are not accepting any liability (replaced on this occasion) and are undertaking repair as a goodwill gesture. You've had a good result and can't expect anymore than that without specific proof of negligence.

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/03/2017 at 1:01 PM, jmw said:

Received the watch back today complete with a new bezel foc.

It is a good result, but only as expected. No indication given of what may have caused the damage.

First pic below shows how it was returned after the service (full quartz movement overhaul).

The second, after the bezel repair...

IMG_3056.jpg

IMG_3092.jpg

• Like 3