Thread size of BB crystal press? Need help.

Halvis

Does anybody know what threads the die holder of the BB crystal press uses? I got a press on ebay, and the threads of the die holder turns out to be badly stripped. The press is of no use as it is now, and a new die holder is difficult to source.

If I know the thread size, I might be able to get some sort of adapter that lets me use standard Bergeon/Horotec dies. Hopefully.

Thank you.

590104TRI.jpg

Count the threads on a good picture like the one you posted, and go from there. 

BTW I think that no adapter exist, but with a great cost and effort, one can be made.

Edited by jdm

38 minutes ago, Halvis said:

I was hoping that if I am really lucky, I could find something like this with the right lengths and threads. Probably not realistic, but worth a shot if I know the threads.

As mentioned above knowing the threads isn't difficult but finding an adapter is impossible.

They are either M5 or M6 . On my sternkreuz press i have M6 . They are the same as on a Bergeon press? 

Someone could probably pretty easy drill the old one out with a lathe and put a new fresh thread in. On the old adapter? 

Maybe even clean the threads with a threading tool could help?

As there seam to be a lot of old material from the die left on the adapter?  

Like this? schneideisen-hss_800x600px-2083.jpg.dbada6d5ea96329687670dd5a3d86ed1.jpg

Edited by rogart63

17 hours ago, Halvis said:

That is correct. The threaded part goes into the press itself, and the dies are snap on.

Then it's more difficult to say which thread the die has? You will have to take a look at how the thread in the press look also? Is that damaged to? 

If so it could probably be saved with a helicoil thread? The adapter is more difficult? 

I believe the thread in the press is steel and the die holder is aluminum, so the die holder has suffered the most. The female thread in the press is full of material from the die holder and it is difficult to get a good look without taking the press apart. I dont know if I should take it apart and clean it yet, because things are not resolved with the seller. Trying to find out what options I have.

I believe my die holder is beyond repair. There is a gap (marked in the picture) that's not supposed to be there. The plate is completely stuck and does not sit straight.Selection_055.png.f089ebe4a698572774ff189fcabfddd7.png