6497-1 Looks OK on the watch timer but runs slow

Hi 

For some reason my 6497-1 checks out fine on the watch timer but doesn't keep time. Could this have something to do with the cannon pinion clutch mechanism?

It seems to be setting too easily - it used to be harder to move the hands - hence my suspicion of the clutch mechanism.

Thank you for your help.

Dave

1 hour ago, Folkvisor said:

Hi 

For some reason my 6497-1 checks out fine on the watch timer but doesn't keep time. Could this have something to do with the cannon pinion clutch mechanism?

It seems to be setting too easily - it used to be harder to move the hands - hence my suspicion of the clutch mechanism.

Thank you for your help.

Dave

Is it running slow by a consistent amount of minutes each day?  Check out the post by @mikepilk

titled:

How do I tighten an Omega centre wheel cannon pinion ?

J

Hi all

It falls behind about 30 minutes within an hour or 2 and stays there for the most part.

I'm thinking the fact that there's not as much friction when I set the hands that there must be a pinion/centre wheel problem. There is a separate seconds hand on the watch. I haven't used it for a while.

Dave

3 hours ago, Folkvisor said:

Hi all

It falls behind about 30 minutes within an hour or 2 and stays there for the most part.

I'm thinking the fact that there's not as much friction when I set the hands that there must be a pinion/centre wheel problem. There is a separate seconds hand on the watch. I haven't used it for a while.

Dave

Its the cannon pinion. Have you recently overhauled it?

JC

It is most likely the cannon pinion. To tighten to canon pinion it is a CONTROLLED squeeze because if you go to far it is an absolute b**ger to amend. I use a Seize tool fitted with dedicated anvils for the job. If you do use the tapping with a stake or any of the other methods you most have a round rod inside the cannon for support and this helps keeping the round shape.

The method I use

58ba78457fced_ScreenShot2017-03-04at08_15_37.png.db4d31beee5a351e3620643b9b268db8.png

Alternative tool.

58ba787c2a45c_ScreenShot2017-03-04at08_15_50.png.58b43b81f22a75506f678a725c152c39.png

If no dedicated tool then this method 

58ba78a9a7a86_ScreenShot2017-03-04at08_16_20.png.9e19d5ed24adaafb7d9aa3a7489fb984.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Watchtime said:

@ JC, just for my understanding, is it the cannon pinion without enough friction on the wheels or on the hands?

I'm going to disassemble the watch this morning and determine this. There is very little friction when I set the watch which is unusual.

6 hours ago, clockboy said:

It is most likely the cannon pinion. To tighten to canon pinion it is a CONTROLLED squeeze because if you go to far it is an absolute b**ger to amend. I use a Seize tool fitted with dedicated anvils for the job. If you do use the tapping with a stake or any of the other methods you most have a round rod inside the cannon for support and this helps keeping the round shape.

The method I use

58ba78457fced_ScreenShot2017-03-04at08_15_37.png.db4d31beee5a351e3620643b9b268db8.png

Alternative tool.

58ba787c2a45c_ScreenShot2017-03-04at08_15_50.png.58b43b81f22a75506f678a725c152c39.png

If no dedicated tool then this method 

58ba78a9a7a86_ScreenShot2017-03-04at08_16_20.png.9e19d5ed24adaafb7d9aa3a7489fb984.png

I have a newly acquired staking tool so I plan to use the bottom method to squeeze the cannon pinion a little. Can I leave the centre wheel attached?

10 hours ago, Watchtime said:

@ JC, just for my understanding, is it the cannon pinion without enough friction on the wheels or on the hands?

The friction would be on the center wheel upon which the cannon pinion sits.

JC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Folkvisor said:

I have a newly acquired staking tool so I plan to use the bottom method to squeeze the cannon pinion a little. Can I leave the centre wheel attached?

@clockboy is exactly right in these cannon pinion tightening methods. You must remove the center wheel before you tighten, and use a broaching pin or some suitable object to insert into the cannon pinion to help prevent crushing it.

JC

8 hours ago, Folkvisor said:

Seems I get to try out my new staking tool. I just need to find my ball peen hammer first.

Dave

Be very careful with a hardware store version ball peen hammer, it's probably to heavy! Just the lightest of taps is usually needed when using a staking tool, and a brass hammer will be kinder to your stakes.

Cheers!

I think I could probably use a small brass hammer I have. I was thinking I should measure the diameter of the centre wheel axel and then find a needle or something of similar size to hold the pinion. Anyway, it will be an interesting process.

1 hour ago, Folkvisor said:

I think I could probably use a small brass hammer I have. I was thinking I should measure the diameter of the centre wheel axel and then find a needle or something of similar size to hold the pinion. Anyway, it will be an interesting process.

Small brass hammer and just give a simple tap--the temptation to strike hard it must be resisted, just a tap! Also I've used sanded paper clips, and one time the pivot shaft of a gear from a large pocket watch to place inside the cannon pinion. Its really to minimize distorting it, but if you don't strike hard this will not happen. 

J

I've tried the staking tool 3 times and I've not yet made the fit tight enough to hold the cannon pinion in place. I guess I'm not hitting it hard enough. I'm holding the cannon pinion with tweezers because I couldn't find anything else to hold it. Perhaps the tweezers aren't allowing the pinion to bend enough.

I'll just keep at it.

Dave

Aloha Folkvisor ,

You have a staking set so check to see if you have the stump [crotch ] , and punch [ peening ] , used to tighten the cannon pinion . And don't forget to insert something inside the pinion to maintain the round shape . I use a Lei needle we get here in the Islands to make flower Leis , but a heavy duty needle set used for leather or canvas would work .

You want to use a small brass hammer so you don't distort the ends of your punch  . Use light taps , but the needle inside the pinion is insurance against distorting the shape .

Go to pg. 75 for Info......

StakingToolsAndHowToUseThem1910FullTextSearchable.pdf

58bdb1b854ffe_ScreenShot2017-03-06at8_52_58AM.png.6fc82947e8a9b023dc12215f502dfd2f.png

58bdb1d873c66_ScreenShot2017-03-06at8_54_03AM.png.c434222a2a13bcab066dcf8686f0e628.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 8.47.28 AM.png

Edited by ricardopalamino
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ricardopalamino said:

Aloha Folkvisor ,

You have a staking set so check to see if you have the stump [crotch ] , and punch [ peening ] , used to tighten the cannon pinion . And don't forget to insert something inside the pinion to maintain the round shape . I use a Lei needle we get here in the Islands to make flower Leis , but a heavy duty needle set used for leather or canvas would work .

You want to use a small brass hammer so you don't distort the ends of your punch  . Use light taps , but the needle inside the pinion is insurance against distorting the shape .

Go to pg. 75 for Info......

StakingToolsAndHowToUseThem1910FullTextSearchable.pdf

58bdb1b854ffe_ScreenShot2017-03-06at8_52_58AM.png.6fc82947e8a9b023dc12215f502dfd2f.png

58bdb1d873c66_ScreenShot2017-03-06at8_54_03AM.png.c434222a2a13bcab066dcf8686f0e628.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 8.47.28 AM.png

Perfect--@ricardopalamino

J

Hi

I think I actually succeeded in tightening it. At least it turns the the centre wheel now and I'm hoping the watch will set as well. 

I had to hit it a bit harder than a light tap. I held it with a pair of tweezers and that seemed to work fine. I actually used the sharp point punch and while I held the pinion on a flat stump. Anyway, it's tighter.

Dave

• Like 2