Everbrite Watch

Sleeper

A picture would paint a thousand words "Everbrite" as a name has been around for a long time various watch companys have used the name and it is still in use by a company in china making cheap quartz watches. It has also been used by various companys as an alternative name for stainless steel when it first became popular as a case making material.

E.Ingraham , Westclox and A.Cohen and sons where early users of the name so it could have been produced by any of those companys

Well its a A. Cohen and sons these watches turn up with various names on the dial Crosby being the main one they where made to look like the more expensive American and superior railroad watches. The movement is Swiss, to find the maker and calibre number look with a eye glass just under the balance wheel there will be a shield with a symbol and a number.  From the look of it I think the movement will be a Unitas 431 the watch dates to around the mid 50's. The second hand is listed as a 0.26 mm for that movement

Thank you.  This watch has been kicking around my bench for about 3 years.  My wife found it in a box of treasures she unpacked and asked me to have a go at fixing it. No idea where it came from, she may have found it at a swap meet back in the 80s.  I cleaned it and it runs well and keeps good time. The problem it had when I opened it is the second hand had come off and wound up in the movement jammed in between the second and third wheel. No idea how it got there but it was fairly well mangled and unusable. Knowing it's a Unitas I might re-case it in a clear back case to show off the movement.

• 1 month later...

The small second hand saga goes on and on.  The shaft top is about 1 to .5 mm below the dial. Can't see once I put the second hand near the hole. The shaft is also slightly offset to hole.  I even made a jig to hold it in a case holder at a 25 degree angle so I could try and use my microscope. 

I am wondering how long the shaft should be and if the problem is with the shaft, the watch dial or the height of the hand.  

Might be lack of experience on my part.