extra tick

matabog

Hello!

I have a couple of watches  that have a strange extra sound that I don't know where it comes from. Could you share your opinions about that? I attach the mp3 file so you can hear it and also a wave print screen so you can see it. It is not knocking, hense I also attach a print screen from WOS.

One scenario would be that the "run to the banking" happens later then the "locking" instead of the same time. Fixing it would mean closing the banking pins. (just thinking out loud).

I am waiting for your thoughts.

Thank you!

Bogdan

tic.mp3

sound_wave.thumb.jpg.dc7ac82dd47e06c72160060fdd769f93.jpg

wos.thumb.jpg.77807e5970eb65822086dccc7f290753.jpg

Edited by matabog

Strange one. Is it by any chance a pin lever movement. I have noticed on a Timographer that the sensitivity has to be turned down with these movements to compensate for some of the unknown noises. If a swiss lever perhaps its a loose pallet. There is a fault analysis here by Witschi on pp5 it mentions the third noise !!!!!!

spooky

Witschi Training Course.pdf

You can see, it only appears after every 2nd noise. Most often this noise comes from hairspring / regulator pin (sticking, I suppose) and is harmless. Often it appears later in the cycle.

Other reasons are possible, however (e.g. jewel touching a horn).

Frank

Over banking is when the impulse pin over banks the wrong side of the pallet fork, the impulse then becomes trapped and the movement stops.

I can hear a pinging sound which is the hairspring expending and closing. I don't know what that popping sound is unless it is caused by a moving part in the movement that has poor lubrication or complete lack of oil. 

I have a Record 650 movement which makes a similar sound... it's almost like the hairsping is acting like a gong and tapping against the curb pin. My Omega constellation chronometer does it every tick instead of every other one, but it's done it from new so I don't feel the need to worry about it.

S

16 hours ago, clockboy said:

Strange one. Is it by any chance a pin lever movement. I have noticed on a Timographer that the sensitivity has to be turned down with these movements to compensate for some of the unknown noises. If a swiss lever perhaps its a loose pallet. There is a fault analysis here by Witschi on pp5 it mentions the third noise !!!!!!

spooky

sorry for my ignorance, but can you put an image of a pin lever movement please ? In english i am ignorant on lot of sentences or signification in horology.. thanks ;)