FHF 90-5 keyless problem

WileyDave

A good friend of mine gave this watch to me to diagnose/clean. Its a 70's Sandoz 25j auto diver. When I first looked at it the two screws that hold winding bridge down were fumbling about inside the case, so I replaced them in appropriate spots. Then it ran crazy fast, so my first though was magnetized. However, the winding/keyless will not go back into place. The stem and winding wheel are indexed so they will only align when fitted precisely. The crown is spring loaded screwdown, so it's difficult to push stem with appropriate force to make certain it's properly engaged, (in movement). My questions are: Does anyone have experience with these? Am I missing another gear? (are there two)? I have had it (stem) in and winding and setting, but fear I may have lost a part!?! It's not been cleaned yet so any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

DSCF0123.thumb.JPG.0fb0560489b2b2a7b33b61ddb8239848.JPG

That is common that that gear falls out? Happens when you removes the stem and tilt the movement? Also easy to put back again. So no problem there? If nothing else isn't  wrong under there? Sounds like it could be though as the small screws where loose? Someone tried to do something with it? Maybe put the setting lever back by taking of the winding bridge? Instead of removing the dial?

Running fast is probably dirty hairspring sticking together ? Sounds like it needs a service? 

Edited by rogart63

6 hours ago, rogart63 said:

That is common that that gear falls out? Happens when you removes the stem and tilt the movement? Also easy to put back again. So no problem there? If nothing else isn't  wrong under there? Sounds like it could be though as the small screws where loose? Someone tried to do something with it? Maybe put the setting lever back by taking of the winding bridge? Instead of removing the dial?

Running fast is probably dirty hairspring sticking together ? Sounds like it needs a service? 

Don't believe it's ever been serviced, it was sitting since the 70's, (no marks in back case). You're correct with the tilting of movement for replacement of gear, stem will still not engage even with detent pushed in, just frustrating! The cleaning and demag should end fast running as I recall the mainspring stayed pretty tight with a manual wind and it ran for over 24 hrs. I'll remove winding bridge and check underneath. Thanks for your response. Dave

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WileyDave said:

Don't believe it's ever been serviced, it was sitting since the 70's, (no marks in back case). You're correct with the tilting of movement for replacement of gear, stem will still not engage even with detent pushed in, just frustrating! The cleaning and demag should end fast running as I recall the mainspring stayed pretty tight with a manual wind and it ran for over 24 hrs. I'll remove winding bridge and check underneath. Thanks for your response. Dave

Think i have some parts if you need anything? pdf you have here? Same movement? http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=Z2xlYXZlYW5kY28uY29tfHRlY2huaWNhbHxneDoxNTZiMTgyM2U5MzY3NWQ1

See in the pdf that someone has written wheel on stem :) 

Edited by rogart63
  • Like 1

Thanks rogart63, I may have inadvertently tried to replace that part backwards, I also noticed it was sticking to stem, even after cleaning up (magnetized?), perhaps another reason it didn't want to seat down inside, thanks for the parts list, makes it much easier to ID all parts, obviously this is my first stab at one of these and because it's a good friends watch, (purchased on a day trip to Switzerland while on student exchange in France)  So, I don't really want to screw it up!  Again, my thanks, you have been more than generous with the file and offer of spares. Dave