Zodiac Astrographic Crystal Replacement

NickP

Hi All, 

Maybe a bit of a long shot here. I recently bought a crazy looking 1971 Zodiac Astrographic watch at an auction. It needs a service and I have found some info on the internet about it. However, the mineral crystal is very scratched and I feel I should replace it. However, as you will see from the photo, the crystal seems to have a chapter ring and a central emblem incorporated or glued on the inside. I can't see an obvious way to remove it and save it. the appropriate Zodiac service manual describes how to replace the crystal, but makes no mention of the chapter ring.

Has anyone ever worked on one of these???

Thanks in advance

Nick

IMG_8087.JPEG

Well is it glued or printed on the crystal ? It looks glued to me... You could try and remove the crystal safely and then unglue the emblem with some substance. Something that dissolves the glue but won't harm plastic or any other hard materials.

Afterwards you could use transparent glue (the one used for fixing crystals onto watches, usually vintage) and attach it to the new replacement crystal.

This guy makes his own but the process sounds a bit involved but the results look good,

http://www.crazywatches.pl/zodiac-astrographic-tank-sst-mystery-dial-1972

And this company make them but they dont mention the price,

http://www.ultra-vintage.com/custom-shop/

so new old stock off the Bay maybe your best option the crystals are glass so maybe a local optician could polish them out.

19 minutes ago, wls1971 said:

This guy makes his own but the process sounds a bit involved but the results look good,

http://www.crazywatches.pl/zodiac-astrographic-tank-sst-mystery-dial-1972

And this company make them but they dont mention the price,

http://www.ultra-vintage.com/custom-shop/

so new old stock off the Bay maybe your best option the crystals are glass so maybe a local optician could polish them out.

Wow, how did you find these crazies?? Thanks so much for that. I'll keep their details safe. As it happens I have found and new old stock on Ebay, made an offer that was accepted. 

I really appreciate your help.

13 hours ago, Chopin said:

Here's one but it's expensive (or is it?). Not sure if it's the one for your size...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zodiac-Astrographic-watch-Glass-crystal-883-953-yellow-genuine-Watch-Part-T10-/201665378931

Chopin,

Literally minutes before I got your message, I had offered this guy $70 and he accepted. Thanks for taking the time. Very much appreciated.

Nick

52 minutes ago, NickP said:

Wow, how did you find these crazies??

I dont know I have a knack for finding obscure sites on the web but can I find the chuck key for my drill No! is it where I left it No! has someone other than me been tidying up Yes ! errr:pulling-hair-out:sorry I needed to vent, off to B&Q now

1 minute ago, wls1971 said:

I dont know I have a knack for finding obscure sites on the web but can I find the chuck key for my drill No! is it where I left it No! has someone other than me been tidying up Yes ! errr:pulling-hair-out:sorry I needed to vent, off to B&Q now

LOL