Seasoned Professional

I may not have any better suggestions for repairing dial feet, but...what the hell is he doing?!:pulling-hair-out:
I could forgive the method, better to have those 2 points of damage visable on the dial than the dial spinning, but he shows a breathtaking disregard and lack of care to the face of the dial at almost every point of handling it. nope nope nope. I think i need to go lye down for a while now. :D

Edited by Ishima

When watches were first made hundreds of years ago, propane, acetylene and even cross slides weren't invented yet; let alone the torch. Dead center turns were used to make staffs and pivots until live center lathes came onto the scene.

With the exception of a motorized watchmaker lathe,this watchmaker is using, more or less, traditional tools and techniques. Obviously a dial foot soldering machine or even a torch would leave a smaller impact on the watch dial. My guess is the watchmaker in this video did not have access to these tools yet he repaired the watch with the tools he had on hand and did it in a very skillful manner.

david

• Like 1

If the repair is hidden then I suppose it could be a way. The interesting part for me was how he steadies the piece with the end of the tip over rest. I might try that one. If he had used a song metal glue & did not drill completely through his method would work.

• Like 1

If you watch some of his other videos you can see that he is highly skilled and seems to have years of experience. I would find it hard to be judgemental  toward his approach as I do not know his situation.  Many people in the eastern block countries live under extreme poverty as well as having to deal with political and infrastructure problems. It can be difficult to afford food let alone a bottle of Loctite or a tourch.  I feel that he did well with what he had to work with. 

david

• Like 2

Hello David,

I accept totally what you say in respect of the Eastern block countries. 

Jarosław Wilczyński definitely has skills far in excess of anything I, as a tinkerer, would aspire to. I decided to look at some other videos he has put on the tube and was surprised to see that he has indeed got all the modern equipment you would need as a watch repairer and maker. Check out what he was using 4 years ago "Zarta 1800 watch consist" and some of his other videos showing timing machine, parts cleaner etc.

Without, I hope, being judgemental, I feel that he was merely demonstrating his skill in a way to perform a task, perhaps as it would need to be done if you did not have the relevant tools, and in honesty he succeeded from that point of view.  I would guess that he perhaps would not work that way normally and was just having some fun.

The idea of taking a hammer to the front of a dial especially without a fine punch certainly had a shock effect on me. However, even with the two holes he created and covered with white paint the whole demo of his skill was educational. As I said I do not have his skills and would probably have used something stupid like sticky dial pads.

In conclusion, I recommend that people should check out his video on "Omega Seamaster - Cleaning, folding, checking" if you want to see some more of his real skill, he has the most steady hands I have seen and note the attention to cleanliness and care - finger cots included. A talented guy.

Regards,

Vic

• Like 1

David, I don't think they all meant to bash the man for his technique, but only to point out that it was quite unusual. Ok that was an inexpensive Seiko 5 watch, and probably he was just showing an alternative "ancient" method to do that kind of repair, but looking at his other videos, I do sometimes see things that make me cringe sometimes. And I am not a professional watchmaker, just a hobby watch repairer... So my opinion is to be taken for what it is worth: almost nothing.