Paid Too Much Or Too Little

Looks very nice and fitted with a high quality movement. Price guide literature always seem to be on the low side.
The size will make a big difference. If it's a size generally considered to be for men ie.. 14 upwards more commonly 16 upwards, it will fetch a higher price.
Determining the value, your best bet would be to try and find similar watches on ebay, if not particularly by the same maker and see what they actually sell for and not what the seller is asking.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, digginstony said:

Determining the value, your best bet would be to try and find similar watches on ebay,

I did this for S&G, under "sold" items, prices vary greatly. Your dial, hands, case, (original Illinois?) figure into value and of course working condition is a bonus and total production number of movements. If I were a collector of Illinois pwatches and did not have one, obviously I would pay a little more. I know I might get some flak, but max I would spend = $150 USD.

• Like 2

I did this for S&G, under "sold" items, prices vary greatly. Your dial, hands, case, (original Illinois?) figure into value and of course working condition is a bonus and total production number of movements. If I were a collector of Illinois pwatches and did not have one, obviously I would pay a little more. I know I might get some flak, but max I would spend = $150 USD.

Thanks for actually quoting a number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4 hours ago, jdrichard said:

Thanks for actually quoting a number.

I hope you understand a hesitancy to quote prices for particular watches. No one wants to get into pi$$ing match over what something is worth, I've seen it before on other boards, nor do I think the mods and Mark want this to become a haven for those trying to find out only values, (sort of takes away from the intent). They could flag my post and it won't happen again. That's okay, I would understand. Maybe we can PM members if unsure values are involved? Just a thought.

• Like 1

Well, if I had the extra cash, I wouldn't be opposed to paying $200 if the case was only gold filled.  If it was gold, I would pay $500 or more.  To me, it is a lovely timepiece.  But, I am a woman, so I wouldn't really look at a pocket watch the same way a man would, because I wouldn't carry it in a functional way.  If it were small enough to be a pendant that would be different, but it doesn't look that small.  If I was a man, I would be proud to own it and I would bid whatever it took (within reason) to win it. 

Edited by sperki77
Darn grammar... moved parenthesis
  • Like 1

Well, if I had the extra cash, I wouldn't be opposed to paying $200 if the case was only gold filled.  If it was gold, I would pay $500 or more.  To me, it is a lovely timepiece.  But, I am a woman, so I wouldn't really look at a pocket watch the same way a man would, because I wouldn't carry it in a functional way.  If it were small enough to be a pendant that would be different, but it doesn't look that small.  If I was a man, I would be proud to own it and I would bid whatever it took (within reason to win it). 

Very nice debate between the value of a PW for a man or woman. This is a size 12 which either a man or a woman could use. It is thin, so your average working man might feel it too dainty for rough use, however, as a professional, I like these in my shirt pocket. I picked this up for $75US, what a deal:)

I hope you understand a hesitancy to quote prices for particular watches. No one wants to get into pi$$ing match over what something is worth, I've seen it before on other boards, nor do I think the mods and Mark want this to become a haven for those trying to find out only values, (sort of takes away from the intent). They could flag my post and it won't happen again. That's okay, I would understand. Maybe we can PM members if unsure values are involved? Just a thought.

I was actually looking for opinion on how people measure the value of a pocket watch rather than how much it is worth. I have around 36 pocket watches that I have purchased and will get around selling, but I watch auctions and sometimes don't understand why some sell for so little while others too much: way outside book values. As well, a non-working pocket watch to me is worth zero, but I love the mechanics of the watch and if it is not working, I need to bring it back to life. A bit of an obsession of late.

Just now, jdrichard said:

Very nice debate between the value of a PW for a man or woman. This is a size 12 which either a man or a woman could use. It is thin, so your average working man might feel it too dainty for rough use, however, as a professional, I like these in my shirt pocket. I picked this up for $75US, what a deal:)

I think you got an excellent deal on this.  It is still a little large for me to wear as a pendant, but it would be perfect for my 15-year-old grandson.

• Like 1

• Geo locked this topic