Another Ebay Dog "Restored"

wls1971

I spotted this today for sale, I bought a Samuel Marti clock last week so did a quick search for similar clocks and found this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RESTORED-SAMUEL-MARTI-FRENCH-ANTIQUE-TIMEPIECE-MANTEL-CLOCK-c-1905-675ma-/391699084395?hash=item5b3315b46b:g:7gEAAOSwjDZYm12E

Described as restored yet missing the strike mechanism and train it could only be described as incomplete yet its still attracting bids it does however have a nice case so I can think people must be bidding only for parts or the case.

People are bidding on this just for the case and it comes with a nice dial, which is in good condition. Someone will take the movement out and put a striking movement in, all they need to do is make sure the winding arbors match up with the key holes and the arbors do not protrude out of the key holes. It will be very difficult in proving it’s a marriage.   

28 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

People are bidding on this just for the case and it comes with a nice dial

I did think it would be the case, but I do think claiming the clock is restored is a bit rich, I noticed on the clock I have by the same maker all the parts are stamped with the serial number on the bezel, pendulum and movement I dont think the under side of the dial was marked so as you say it would be an easy job just to swap the movement from one case to the other.

The only thing that does not match on mine is the gong which looks correct but is marked G.B so I thought maybe it had come from another clock.