Best value watch case opener

Tmuir

I've just changed jobs and received a nice payout from my previous job so figured I might treat myself to a good watch case opener, so I can stop struggling with my $10 Chinese Jaxa tool.

From what I can see the 'Swiss Style' opener from Cousins seems to be the best value one.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/universal-case-back-tool-swiss-style

Before I throw £150 at it has anyone else bought one and can recommend it? Or does anyone have a better suggestion?

Thanks

Tony

This is the same as I'm getting, copy of Bergeon 5700, but I paid less ordering directly from China. David on this forum has it and works good for him. There is also a version which my seller swears is  better, you can tell by the horizontal bar being round instead of square, but it cost twice as much. And then there are many other types, but all are smaller, lighter and more expensive than this.

To be fair I'm getting it only because of a single extremely tight Seiko caseback. All the others I've opened with the Jaxa.

Edited by jdm

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2017 at 3:13 PM, Tmuir said:

Thanks, let me know how you get on when it arrives.

Arrived very quickly from HK, with low custom charges due to the seller's cooperation. There are just two minor issues, first the bits set is incorrect, one round tip is missing, and in place of it and another pair (square ?) there are extra rectangular bits. No big deal for now since these are the most used, anyway I'll ask the seller to set that right.

P2260415.thumb.JPG.2940f920b94a5de06a0d85b182a25020.JPG

And the second is that all the parts below were painted black in attempt to conceal their mismatching colors. Of course the paint started peeling already, so i gave these a quick clean.

P2260416.thumb.JPG.403cfbe54783484f957a6f1a302f7c24.JPG

Construction is good enough, there are minor details which could be improved e.g. all the shafts where a grub screw or knob bites aren't milled flat, nevertheless works fine. Finally I was able to crack open a very sturdy diver case back!

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

I had an Indian Jaxa and then another Jaxa copy (presumably Chinese) and eventually got a genuine Swiss one with two handles and four prongs. The Swiss ones have virtually no play which is important for stiff case backs. They pop up cheap on eBay as long as the word "Bergeon" isn't mentioned. 

I had an Indian Jaxa and then another Jaxa copy (presumably Chinese) and eventually got a genuine Swiss one with two handles and four prongs. The Swiss ones have virtually no play which is important for stiff case backs. They pop up cheap on eBay as long as the word "Bergeon" isn't mentioned. 

I would still like to get one of these. I can't understand why aren't made anymore since the design is so much better.

6 hours ago, jdm said:

You just don't insert the 4th pin? As it can't be used in 99% of types.

Yes, you skip the 4th pin if it's a 3-prong type (or skip two for 2-prong). Two prongs open to a wider gap than normal for larger cases too. Handy for some screw back pocket watches. 

But the main advantage for me is that you can apply even pressure to both handles which keeps the tool steady. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the 5700Z type which I bought. The grub screws for the the bits, which go in the brass blocks pictured above, are poorly made. They are not long enough to press directly on the bit, which then falls easily. It seems like some sort of movable part was behind the screw, but is not effective. I've drilled it out, replaced with a short pin, and that works fine. Better would be to have a spring in between screw and "piston" to keep the bit in place.

Another minor complain is that the lugs blocks only go to 22mm size, while certainly I won't have any use for 9 / 11mm lugs. 

In the end I don't think these are the same that Bergeon sells.

my experience with the Chinese sets are very poor, the bits just broke down(luckily) trying to open a jammed caseback. I bought a a lot of a watchmaker who passed away and I was happy to find a Bergeon opener between the tools, never let me down since...

1 hour ago, Watchtime said:

my experience with the Chinese sets are very poor, the bits just broke down(luckily) trying to open a jammed caseback. I bought a a lot of a watchmaker who passed away and I was happy to find a Bergeon opener between the tools, never let me down since...

My Chinese "hand set" never broke a pin, although they needed a bit of dressing after much use.
The issue with truly hard case backs is that Jaxe tool set is not enough, any will slip (with the possible exception of the one with two handles pictured above). and leave serious scratches. So you need a press type opener.