New tool received from Boley

SSTEEL

Damn this is is amazing, price not so much, but it sure is very well made.

32723714712_991207021d_z.jpgDSC05374 by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

Anyone else have one, and if so, do you know the best base plate for off-centre pusher work, i.e. chronographs, ETA 7750/53?  I have a new movement holder for these two movements on back order, but unsure of the base plate I need.

• Like 2

Hi Micky, I have a couple of hand presses.  The old one is a twin station version of the press you have and is built like a brick sh** house; the second single station press is more lightweight.

Both of these give a huge amount of feel when fitting hands, but I have made adjustments to the single stage one to give great sensitivity and feel. The anvil fitted to this press is made of high density polythene and prevents the movement being marked.

The small anvil, Bergeon 5409 is a great addition.  It has a centre pin that rises to support the bottom pinion when pressing hands on.  This eliminates the possibility of moving the bottom jewel during the process.  It is not suitable for all movements though.

IMG_3088.JPG

IMG_3095.JPG

IMG_3096.JPG

IMG_3097.JPG

• Like 2

Cheers for that @Geo   I will certainly look into that, but for 28XX ETA movements I have this slick movement holder, and found it fits the base of this Bergeon hand press perfectly.  Its the base plate for 7750, and 7753 movements I wish to find, a base which allows for off centre pressing of the small chronograph hands.

32839951746_93aa726690_k.jpgSlick 11/1/2 Inge fits perfectly by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

@sstakoff The timegrapher is amazing, so many settings, and custom settings, memory, print out functionality, and readout options, loving it, esp[ecially with the auto mic, I can let it run a custom test of all six positions whilst I carry on with other work.

@clockboy I have both of the Horotec hand pressed, the singular type, and the trio model, I found the trio press tool a waste of month if I'm honest as the two pillars obstruct many movement holders for the two end pushers to be used.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SSTEEL said:

The timegrapher is amazing, so many settings, and custom settings, memory, print out functionality, and readout options, loving it, esp[ecially with the auto mic, I can let it run a custom test of all six positions whilst I carry on with other work.

Thank you. Appreciate the review. 

Just read the paperwork that came with the 8935 press, and it shows an intermediate plate for offset driving.  Typical of me to not read the instructions, I have the part number too, so will order that next.

This is the movement holder I have on back order with Boley, and right now, I am unsure if it will be useable with this press, if not, a good reason to look for a singular like Geo's?

32038343254_fb44161cf7_b.jpg7750/7753 Movement holder by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

32757386781_0b6c049e8e_k.jpgDSC05407 by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

32727666112_ab9f8663f3_k.jpgDSC05408 by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

Edited by SSTEEL

1 minute ago, Geo said:

Very nice Micky, I think you might have to have have a custom base unit made.

I think you could well be right, I have a lathe, but I haven't got round to restoring it yet, let alone buy any tools to get it up and operational.

3 hours ago, Geo said:

Hi Micky, I have a couple of hand presses.  The old one is a twin station version of the press you have and is built like a brick sh** house; the second single station press is more lightweight.

Both of these give a huge amount of feel when fitting hands, but I have made adjustments to the single stage one to give great sensitivity and feel. The anvil fitted to this press is made of high density polythene and prevents the movement being marked.

The small anvil, Bergeon 5409 is a great addition.  It has a centre pin that rises to support the bottom pinion when pressing hands on.  This eliminates the possibility of moving the bottom jewel during the process.  It is not suitable for all movements though.

IMG_3088.JPG

IMG_3095.JPG

IMG_3096.JPG

IMG_3097.JPG

So that is how it works? Seen it but never understood what it was for? Thanks  @Geo

1 hour ago, SSTEEL said:

Cheers for that @Geo   I will certainly look into that, but for 28XX ETA movements I have this slick movement holder, and found it fits the base of this Bergeon hand press perfectly.  Its the base plate for 7750, and 7753 movements I wish to find, a base which allows for off centre pressing of the small chronograph hands.

32839951746_93aa726690_k.jpgSlick 11/1/2 Inge fits perfectly by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

@sstakoff The timegrapher is amazing, so many settings, and custom settings, memory, print out functionality, and readout options, loving it, esp[ecially with the auto mic, I can let it run a custom test of all six positions whilst I carry on with other work.

@clockboy I have both of the Horotec hand pressed, the singular type, and the trio model, I found the trio press tool a waste of month if I'm honest as the two pillars obstruct many movement holders for the two end pushers to be used.

You can use the movement holder such as for the 7750 with the horotec but it is not as slick as the Boley or Bergeon but it does work. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, clockboy said:

You can use the movement holder such as for the 7750 with the horotec but it is not as slick as the Boley or Bergeon but it does work. 

Thats what I'm thinking in the short term, and would like to keep my Horotec presses just in case, I will let you know how I get on with the offset intermediate plate.

9 hours ago, Geo said:

It has a centre pin that rises to support the bottom pinion when pressing hands on.  This eliminates the possibility of moving the bottom jewel during the process.  It is not suitable for all movements though.

I've never understood this. What is the bottom pinion?

@jdm The bottom pinion, and jewel are the rear end of the seconds wheel, if this isn't supported during the refitting of hands, you can damage that pinion/gear/jewel, thats why there is a centre post in movement holders for specific movements.

As you can see from the 7750/7753 movement holder I posted above, this has several posts, each adjustable to comfort/protect their respective jewel/pivot/gear whilst refitting the hands.

wt5092.jpg

berg1998.jpg

HMG10211.jpg?itok=VHdM8qou

Edited by SSTEEL

[mention=1542]jdm[/mention] The bottom pinion, and jewel are the rear end of the seconds wheel, if this isn't supported during the refitting of hands, you can damage that pinion/gear/jewel,

I see. On Seiko and I guess many others there are various parts in between which make that impossible so I guess it's not even needed.

8 hours ago, jdm said:

I see. On Seiko and I guess many others there are various parts in between which make that impossible so I guess it's not even needed.

On Seiko chronographs such as the 6139 there's a tool which supports the jewels the same as the above tools. You fit the dial and hands before fitting the auto winding bridge. Here's a picture of the tool stolen from the internet -

717243646_o.jpg

7 hours ago, chadders1966 said:

Hi

I know it's not what you were looking for but did you know Bergeon sell an offset stake attachment for small seconds/chronograph hands, 6012-SD? I imagine that would do the job on any of their hand setting tools, but who knows what it would cost!

Stephen

I did, there's two, and I have ordered them both from cousins, not cheap at £60 each.

2 hours ago, SSTEEL said:

I did, there's two, and I have ordered them both from cousins, not cheap at £60 each.

Do you mean the plates? That's not what I referred to - Cousins don't sell the part number I mentioned as far as I can see. It fits on the end of one of the stakes and looks like it is adjustable. Was originally for a different press but I imagine it would fit.

Stephen

I'm not sure whether it's discontinued, or just an older model as the construction is different. Anyway I would think all the fittings are the same size. The description for your model actually lists 6012-SD as an accessory, so I assume it will be correct for the 8935, there is no newer version of this piece.

https://shop.bergeon.ch/Catalogue/PDF/7056 S.pdf

• Like 1