Cap jewel spring advice needed

ftwizard

Looks like a Seiko main plate in which case it's  Diafix rather than Duofix, but it's essentially the same. 

Don't take the spring out though. Once you have got the tail free it hinges up in its setting around the arms allowing the stone to be removed with the spring still captive. 

Hate those? Need one or two?  I have a few on some old movements? Need to be careful with them. I never remove them unless i have to? Just clean and oil before i put thing together again. You must at least have 3 hands to put them back?

• Like 1

The larger of the two shocks is removed in a twist movement. You can purchase a tool for the kif style one of these which I do own. However I also made one out of peg wood which works really well. I dare say you could do the same for that one as well.

Hate those? Need one or two?  I have a few on some old movements? Need to be careful with them. I never remove them unless i have to? Just clean and oil before i put thing together again. You must at least have 3 hands to put them back?

I would be grateful for a couple if you have them. Now I know how to fit them, I might have a little more success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are a little tricky to install? I put the arms in first. And then press back on the middle arm until i can press it down under back under the lip? I use a screwdriver to press down with? See if i can take some pictures? 

Send me a PM and i post some? 

I was putting the single end in first and then trying to bend the legs into the slot. I did the one in the base plate OK, but the one in the bridge plate was a pain. Although it is in position, I think it's bent and isn't all that secure.

I've tried to PM you, but it won't let me send. Says "rogart63 can't receive messages"

Edited by ftwizard

On February 13, 2017 at 4:57 AM, ftwizard said:

Does anyone know the correct method to remove and refit the cap jewel spring for the smaller of the two pictured?IMG_1437.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you remove the larger spring? It looks like a Novodiac spring but it only has one opening in the cleat/lip/dag - or whatever - instead of 3.

I was told that one uses a very small oxy-acetaline torch to cut each of the tabs off and then you use a small arc welder to put them on again. It's probably true too...

Dave

30 minutes ago, Folkvisor said:

How do you remove the larger spring? It looks like a Novodiac spring but it only has one opening in the cleat/lip/dag - or whatever - instead of 3.

I was told that one uses a very small oxy-acetaline torch to cut each of the tabs off and then you use a small arc welder to put them on again. It's probably true too...

Dave

Yep, that's the way I did it........:D

23 hours ago, rogart63 said:

Click on full size pictures and see how i open it? Second picture? Put it back the opposite way? I think you can find a Seiko manual for it? 

http://www.thewatchsite.com/12-reference-articles-faq-model-guides/12386-diashock-diafix.html

Thanks Rogart for the link . It will help many watch enthusiasts since a lot of pdf show how to disassemble and oil

• Like 1

Large spring.. these are different from the Novodiac in the sense that there's only one slot to feed a leg at a time.  What I do is get one leg in the groove, one in the gap and one over. Rotate the spring so that the leg above the groove moves towards the gap. Once its in the gap, press it down with pegwood and rotate. When rotating the spring, it helps if you push on the side away from the gap as well. Pretty difficult they first few times but it gets easier.

The novodiac has 3 legs and 3 slots, requiring a tool to push them down simultaneusly, hence the need for the tool. You can make one by shaping one end of pegwood to fit the outer dia. of the setting and hollowing the inside a bit to clear the jewel.

Small spring.. when removing, insert a small sharp pointed thing in the little gap visible next to the middle leg. Apply just enough force to allow the middle leg to escape.. it will spring up a bit.. move the whole spring in the direction the middle leg is pointing, the cap jewel can then be removed. When installing, fit the cap jewel and bring back the spring into its original position. use your pointy tool to bring the spring far enough so that you can use another tool to push the middle leg down to the level of the groove. Release pressure so the spring can go back to its original position. The danger here is to move the spring too far back. The springs are made of thin metal and will not tolerate to much bending. Once bent they pretty useless, even if you bend it back into its approximate original shape they've lost their temper(springiness?!).

Anilv

• Like 1