movement ID help

Ok guys, just going through the box of bits and bobs and decided to get this cylinder escapement watch movement cleaned up and to see if I could get it running again, well I did and it does.

Question is who made the movement, as you can see it has D&G on show and a serial number, but if you lift off the barrel bridge you find the arrow logo of Felsa!

I have looked and looked for the D&G logo but to no avail, so here I am asking, unfortuantly I didn't take a picture of the arrow logo.

IMG_7254.JPG

IMG_7255.JPG

These movements are known as a five bar movement. I don't know the size of this one, but many are fitted into ladies Pocket watches, many come with decorated dials and are fitted into Swiss silver cases with a back and hand setting . As yours doesn't have that it could be smaller and comes from a wrist watch case, its still a five bar movement and were made in the millions. 

Old hippy many thanks mate once again, this one measures 30mm in diameter and yes has a decorated enamel dial and gold hands, but sadly no case, will have to start scouring ebay to see if I can find one on the cheap to make this little watch a runner and whole again.

Glad I could help!

The only thing to mention is that you've said the movement is 30mm ... and that would put it at around the 13''' to 13.5''' size. Don't want you spending ages trying to locate a stem only to find that your watch is a scaled up version of the FHF 11''' and the stem you locate doesn't fit!

Firstly I am only a relative novice like you so any advice I give will only be based on the steps I'd logically take to try and arrive at an answer. There are folk on this forum with waaaaaay more experience than me. I can only hope to be as knowledgeable one day as the others who have already contributed to this thread.

The normal pain with trying to locate a stem is the need for the various 'interfaces' on the stem to work in perfect harmony with the sliding pinion, setting lever, yoke etc. However if you're working with a simpler stem wind and pin set then the stem doesn't need these kind of interfaces so you potentially have more tolerance in getting something generic. My observation on ligne size was just that it probably stands to reason that the stem for a pocket watch two whole ligne sizes larger than you think will also be larger(?).

I do concur however that your watch looks exactly like an FHF 11''' as per ranfft. As oldhippy mentions however this style of watch was made in great quantities (and ligne sizes) and also note that ranfft whilst being a fantastic resource does not list literally every movement ever made.

So anyway, back to your issue ... if you don't have the original (damaged) stem to take measurements from then you just need basic measurements of the overall length of stem you need and then the dimensions of the square section that fits into the winding pinion and approximate length. If you look through the listing against http://www.obsoletewatchandclockparts.com/401-winding-stem.htm you should find this gentleman has a pretty good selection of old pocket watch stems and if you ask him nicely he'll probably do his best to find a match with those measurements you'll give him.

An alternative - if you're likely to do this as an ongoing hobby - is to look out for a job lot of old stems. If you can get these at a reasonable price it could work out well e.g. if you get 30 stems and only 25% ever fit your watches this might still be more cost effective than getting separate stems with postage.

Just an idea and if so here's a relevant ebay search: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=1&_nkw=pocket+watch+stems&rt=nc&LH_Auction=1

• Like 1

Cheers mate, yes like you im a happy tinkerer, with help from a local "smith" that runs a horological workshop, anyway, yes I'm trying logical searches for a stem, my trouble is, is that I get an old movement like this and find Myself wanting to find a case for it etc etc and get it back to a fully working watch as it once was, bit like a dog with a bone I suppose haha.