Different way of cleaning a clock !!!!

clockboy

Interesting for sure. I've cleaned metal parts by boiling them before, with dishwasher soap in the water, usually when there is a tough residue (paint, glue...) that needs to be removed. It's very effective and is a great way of cleaning parts with lots of nooks and crevices. 

That being said, I would be weary of using it for clock or watch parts... I'd be afraid that the heat could affect the parts in some way, especially if different metals are involved (different expansion/contraction rates).

But if it works for this guy, and he has waaaaay more experience than I do, then it must be perfectly fine!

35 minutes ago, clockboy said:

Also it does not look that clean when finished. 

That's what I was thinking.

Even before I got my US cleaner and just soaked parts in my clock cleaning solution they came out cleaner than that.

What a nightmare of a video. He broke nearly every rule in the book on taking a clock apart.:mad:

After removing the hands and dial, the first thing is let down all the power in the springs. He decided to remove the pallet cock and pallets first, so why didn’t the train wiz round? Very strange, unless it was the editing in the video, never the less it shows what he did and it is wrong. Removing the pins with not a care in the world (I nearly had a heart attack) great care should be taken and each part removed should be inspected for any wear. Never try to undo nuts with nippers they mark the nuts, use smooth jaw pliers or better still use the correct box spanner, which is what I would use. God knows what marks he made while trying to remove the hammer wire and the attachment, the wrestling he had was manly off camera. We could all see he did nothing with the two barrels, never looked at any of the wheels, pivots never checked for wear. The boiling of the parts, what the hell was he thinking of, there are many types of clock cleaning fluids these days with a good cleaning all parts will come up looking like new, his still looked dirty and it was a bloody eye sore. He should be kept away from any type of clock; the man is a bad advert for the trade. :pulling-hair-out::pulling-hair-out::pulling-hair-out:

Clockboy please don’t frighten me with any more like this. :D

4 minutes ago, clockboy said:

Sorry.  just shows not every vid on YouTube is showing rhe correct methods

There's some real screamers on their of idiots changing batteries using there fingers and metal tweezers. A sure sign they won't last long.