Seiko 7009A Problems

Hi 

I was wondering about bent pins or an out of shape HS too so bought a new balance assembly; unless the new balance is faulty.

I marked the balance wheel so that I know where the impulse jewel is when I replace it. So, I know the impulse jewel is at least in the right direction.

One thing is bothering me about the balance: It doesn't turn all that easily all the time.

BTW - I've tried lubrication of the pallet stones and the balance.

It's a mystery...

Dave

Yes sometime a Seiko balance can really act up. I have one on the bench that stubbornly stopped running while I was trying to correct the hairspring which was overlapping. I hope to eventually find what's wrong, at this time I simply don't.

If I lie the balance cock upside down on the bench with the cock facing west the hairspring will swing freely when it is a smidgen north of the jewel assembly hole because at this point the spring is centred on the balance wheel. The HS isn't centred when the pivot is in the hole.

It's almost as if the jewel assembly holes are off by 0.5mm.

Very strange.

Maybe I should break out the old ball peen...LOL

Dave

15 hours ago, Folkvisor said:

If I lie the balance cock upside down on the bench with the cock facing west the hairspring will swing freely when it is a smidgen north of the jewel assembly hole because at this point the spring is centred on the balance wheel. The HS isn't centred when the pivot is in the hole.

Then the HS is distorted, even if it's a new one. Normally a so slight distortion is not enough to prevent it from oscillating, but as I said, these are really delicate and capricious things, ask me ho do I know.