Watchmakers balance tool

Douglas1701

I got the tips made and slightly curved at the tip...just guessed at the sizes from pics on the net....they wound up being 1.8 mm, 1.24 mm, 1.14 mm and .45 mm.......pretty close for guessing...lol.....I used various sizes of needles. Heated the tip and flatend it and put a slight curve. Got them flat but have not filed the points yet.

image.jpeg

Edited by Douglas1701
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jdm said:

What's the idea behind letting the hairspring dangling rather than stay in its natural shape on the balance cock upside down?

Because once its no longer moving, whilst on the tack, you can easily inspect the hair spring and roller jewel through a loupe.  Also ideal time to inspect top and lower pivots too for wear.

• Like 1

Just now, SSTEEL said:

Because once its no longer moving, whilst on the tack, you can easily inspect the hair spring and roller jewel through a loupe.  Also ideal time to inspect top and lower pivots too for wear.

How you can inspect the hairsping shape while its hanging down? What prevents you from inspecting roller jewel and lower pivot as it's standing in the cock upside down?

• Like 1

I'm sure others will answer you too JDM, the tack allows you to work on the balance having both hands free, I only use mine for visual inspections of a COMPLETE BALANCE BRIDGE, looking at the aforementioned, and to see if there are any irregularities in the hair spring, and its fastenings.

Edited by SSTEEL
  • Like 1

Ok, for clarity, do you do these inspections with the balance hanging?

Sorry I just fail to understand how one can see that something is wrong with an hairsping totally out of its normal shape.

BTW both hands should be free with the balance cock standing upside down on the mat. And the the hairsping retails its shape all the time.

• Like 1

There can be issues showed with an hair spring hanging that can be missed whilst in situ.  Google watchmakers balance e tack, and you will see the many advantages of such a tool.

I also demagnetise a complete balance whilst on a tack, the base is alloy, non-magnetic for a reason ;)

Edited by SSTEEL
  • Like 1

Nice looking balance holder! Mine is just a quick DIY one. A small piece of aluminium with a hole with a toothpick in it :) You can see it on my latest video.

This balance tack is used to correct beat error for watches without beat error regulator. Check Mark's video how to do it! I think that the pivots are also safer and stay clean this this way.

One can however ask if the hairspring get distorted while hanging on the tool? Well, the most sensible part of the HS is at the stud, where it can easily bent if the compass is not moved to the fastest setting, or the HS is out of the compass. I have a watch with a big balance and relatively thin hairspring. It has experienced noticeable distortion after having a journey on my balance tack. I think one should check if the HS is flat and is half way freely between the regulator pins at resting after mounted back in the movement. 

• Like 1