Watchmakers balance tool

Douglas1701

As soon as I can drag my butt out of this chair and away from this sweet tea nectar, Im gonna go and try to make some handles for the oilers and maybe an oiling station to go with it. Local walmart has some of those paint pots for kids, thought they might work good for holding the oil and grease.

keep ticking away,

doug

8 minutes ago, Douglas1701 said:

As soon as I can drag my butt out of this chair and away from this sweet tea nectar, Im gonna go and try to make some handles for the oilers and maybe an oiling station to go with it. Local walmart has some of those paint pots for kids, thought they might work good for holding the oil and grease.

keep ticking away,

doug

Thinking out of the box ,....I like it .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, szbalogh said:

One can however ask if the hairspring get distorted while hanging on the tool? Well, the most sensible part of the HS is at the stud, where it can easily bent if the compass is not moved to the fastest setting, or the HS is out of the compass. I have a watch with a big balance and relatively thin hairspring. It has experienced noticeable distortion after having a journey on my balance tack. I think one should check if the HS is flat and is half way freely between the regulator pins at resting after mounted back in the movement. 

That is my fear as well; I only use the balance tack when adjusting for beat error.  I'm not sure how rational this fear is, but I've straightened enough hairsprings to know it's my least favorite part of the job!

• Like 3

Nice work Douglas indeed. I always check my pivots on a tack you can look around the hairspring and jewels alot easier and its safer if your careful and dont go wildly pulling at the balance and distort the hairspring.and its an excelkent way of holding the balance clock while you adjust the collet on a staff for adjusting beat error when your balance cock doesn't have a beat error adjustment feature. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Vich said:

Looks good as well as being functional, go into mass production (for forum members only - at a reasonable price of course emoji6.png)
Cheers,
Vic

21 hours ago, rogart63 said:

Nice work. Measured a Bergeon black oiler and it was approx 6 mm and 50 mm long. The oiler was 1,5 mm and 0,18 mm in the tip. That you have to buy i think? But they could be bought as spare parts. 

Thanks for the measurements, got the oilers done, will post some pics in a bit.

59 minutes ago, Douglas1701 said:

Well, got the oilers done...made them out of walnut again...made the knob at the ends different sizes so I would know which one to grab. Gotta figure out a way to make caps for them and then onto the oiling station.....

image.jpeg

Beauties? If you do the end smaller you could maybe use some covers from ballpoint pens? Like on this oilers.download.jpg.bdb03afdd41282f6af2637f81884405e.jpg

• Like 1

Im getting close, decided to incorporate the oilers into the station. Still got another day or so on it, but im further than I was...lol......gonna make a place for the balance tool to sit in when not in use so it doesnt get messed up....may move it to one side instead of the middle....any thoughts?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Douglas1701
  • Like 2