Tell me what you think of this.

oldhippy

Nice try clockboy but wrong. If you look close at the movement to the top left you can see the steel stems of the hammers, they chime on a peal of bells above the door, the third barrel is there, you can just see it to the bottom right of the pendulum fixing bracket.

I'm giving too much away.:biggrin:

• Like 1

EMMMM TRICKY.  I notice in one of the pics there is a screw laying in the bottom of the case. However I think I can just see the third barrel arbour. This is a movement I have never seen before and I still don,t know how the strike works. If the steel rods strike a peal of bells above the door why has it got a conventional chiming ring?

Also how does the pendulum swing or does it miss the bracket just to the left of the middle barrel arbour. 

• Like 1

I'm lucky I have repaired many of these movements so I know them inside out. The strike is rack striking more or less what you get in an Smiths strike only much bigger and better made. The gong is for the strike only, it chimes on the peal of bells but strikes on the gong. The pendulum swings fine, its a little miss leading but there is plenty of room. 

• Like 1

Easy!!!! it's five thousand pounds... :P 

And the case is cracked in the front, and the key hole to open the front is all worn out (not sure why you would need to open it anyways, there is a hinge in the glass so I presume you can just open the glass to wind it.

Given all that, and the hint already given, I'm going to say the clock style and movement are from different countries, like a French box with a German movement, or something to that effect (maybe dial style vs movement)...

Correct clockboy:Bravo: The movement indeed is English so is the case, the case has been made for the French market. It strikes on the gong which I've already mentioned, depending on the case and the wood it is made out of will effect the strike sound, many are very dull.  :D

I'll disregard what you said about the fusee barrels. :startle:

1 hour ago, frenchie said:

Just to make sure I understand, is there anything wrong with this clock or does it just have a design quirk (make in England for the French market)?

The only thing wrong is the description of the clock by the seller.

Beautiful massive Triple fusee French ebonised Bracket clock with Bracket

The correct wording should have been  Triple fusee English Bracket clock in a ebony type case made for the French market. 

The case isn't ebony it is painted black to look like ebony, if you look at it closely you can see in places the lighter type wood. The answer I wanted was just about the movement, if I wanted the right one for the case this little game might have lasted a lot longer. I'll see if I can find a harder one next time. 

• Like 1

This is really interesting but way beyond me.

I just test myself by putting everything on the bench, mixing it up a little, and then making myself name all the little rascals and telling myself what they are all for. I figure if I know what they are I should be able to put it all back together. LOL

Dave

• Like 1