Beautiful watch

Ah, quite nice.  :)

A lot of effort was expended on the finish of the better American pocket watches.  RR grade watches were usually highly jeweled too as they were essentially the chronometer grade watches of the nineteenth century.

Pocket watches aren't generally my focus but I have been keeping an eye out for an affordable Bunn Special or Hamilton 992b (here's a fine example of the latter).

D3S_0105-1200.jpg

Currently I own only a nice size 18 PS Bartlett grade Waltham which resides on my nightstand.  I can't help but fiddle with it when boredom strikes.  There's something special about a proper pocket watch.

• Like 1

The only one I currently own ( other than a chineese watch my girlfriend bought me) is a molinja 18 j 3602 thats in pretty good shape and it hasnt arrived yet. I bought a book ( complete price guide to watches 2013) so i could look up an elgin watch that belonged to my grandfather. Unfortunately it wasnt listed as far as i could tell. Been kinda dissapointed in the two watch books i have so far...could you suggest a good watch book for looking up model numbers and such?

20 hours ago, Douglas1701 said:

The only one I currently own ( other than a chineese watch my girlfriend bought me) is a molinja 18 j 3602 thats in pretty good shape and it hasnt arrived yet. I bought a book ( complete price guide to watches 2013) so i could look up an elgin watch that belonged to my grandfather. Unfortunately it wasnt listed as far as i could tell. Been kinda dissapointed in the two watch books i have so far...could you suggest a good watch book for looking up model numbers and such?

I have The Complete Price Guide to Watches 2016 although it's probably going to go out with the spring cleaning.  There's quite a bit of information in the book on the various American pocket watches but I discovered the price estimate weren't really accurate. Usually when I need information regarding a particular brand or model I'll trawl the internet for groups that share a passion for that brand.  Forums for Omega, Rolex, Waltham, Elgin, Breitling, and other enthusiasts exist and usually within the ranks of the forum members will be a handful of experts who know just about everything there is to know about the brand and history.

4 hours ago, RyMoeller said:

I have The Complete Price Guide to Watches 2016 although it's probably going to go out with the spring cleaning.  There's quite a bit of information in the book on the various American pocket watches but I discovered the price estimate weren't really accurate. Usually when I need information regarding a particular brand or model I'll trawl the internet for groups that share a passion for that brand.  Forums for Omega, Rolex, Waltham, Elgin, Breitling, and other enthusiasts exist and usually within the ranks of the forum members will be a handful of experts who know just about everything there is to know about the brand and history.

If you throw the book out ill be glad to pay shipping if you will send it to me instead of the trash...I like books and i agree the book isnt all that great, i have the 2013 one. I was expecting it to be a better laid out book than it was. Hard to make heads or tails of some of the info in it. Samething with watch repair for beginners, not what i was hoping for..it had alot of info in it, but it was not presented well nor was it illustrated all that well. Maybe im just use to tech manuals or something....something clear and precise with a good drawing to go with it. Anyway, thanks for the info...the watch was $300, a guy in a watch grouped looked it up for me and said at best it was $225-$275.

thanks,

doug