Making Pivots

adiorio110

This is a video showing the pivot turned to .01mm over the finished diameter and "burnished" down to the final .1mm diameter. This is not the only process that is used  to get the pivot to the final diameter, but removing almost all of the material in the turning operation will help maintain the concentricity of the staff. Tempering  steel to a spring hardness will help ensure that the cutter pressure has less chance of pushing the pivot out of concentricity due to pressure from the cutting tool. This is because the pivot has the ability to spring back after the cutter pressure is removed. A higher yield strength gives the pivot a higher resistance to strain.  An extremely sharp tool and a light touch will reduce  cutting pressure on the pivot but the steel will have less ability to spring back to its original concentric position.

There is also the element of microscopic warping due to heat treatment after the part is turned. If the heat treatment and normalization is done before  turning, the warpage  of the metal will be negabile in the final product.

In the end everyone has a different perspective on this subject but this is my perspective based on my background and  the many failures I had when I was learning how to do this. 

david

Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkGygB7BMsQ

Edited by david
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, david said:

This is a video showing the pivot turned to .01mm over the finished diameter and "burnished" down to the final .1mm diameter. This is not the only process that is used  to get the pivot to the final diameter, but removing almost all of the material in the turning operation will help maintain the concentricity of the staff. Tempering  steel to a spring hardness will help ensure that the cutter pressure has less chance of pushing the pivot out of concentricity due to pressure from the cutting tool. This is because the pivot has the ability to spring back after the cutter pressure is removed. A higher yield strength gives the pivot a higher resistance to strain.  An extremely sharp tool and a light touch will reduce  cutting pressure on the pivot but the steel will have less ability to spring back to its original concentric position.

There is also the element of microscopic warping due to heat treatment after the part is turned. If the heat treatment and normalization is done before  turning, the warpage  of the metal will be negabile in the final product.

In the end everyone has a different perspective on this subject but this is my perspective based on my background and  the many failures I had when I was learning how to do this. 

david

Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkGygB7BMsQ

Thank you ..Video explains a lot

Anthony

• Like 1

Well, the my mistake, started cutting the left pivot before finishing the balance rest. Then the staff was braking from the collet before finishing the left side. It was a good practice :)

But the other pivot was turned to 0.14mm. Here a 0.2mm drill is put next to it as reference.

58bc4a2e73631_Untitled61.jpg.1629242457fa671f39b343640ad62d63.jpg

• Like 2